1962 Franklin Half Dollar ??DDR??

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Larry Squires, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Larry Squires

Larry Squires Member

What do ya think...... MD or DDR (in fact, I am unsure if doubling is the word of choice - it appears to be tripling), i.e. E Pluribus Unum?

Nothing listed for 1962 Franklin Half Dollar DDR at Variety Vista. However, this is similar to the 1961 DDR-004, -007, -008, -010, -011, -013, and -014. Is this one of those old MD's that would have previously passed for DDR... but, maybe not so much these days?

Also, does anyone know which 1962 Franklin DDR is so revered? The 1961 DDR-003 is quite a specimen. But, there are several varieties.

Aaahhhh... what a way to stay healthy. Happy Hunting!

PS: Don't ya hate it when people post crappy pics! So do I... which is why I offer my most sincere apologies. My microscope/camera ain't ready for primetime.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

NAV Doubling

Heavymetal and Danomite like this.
  4. Larry Squires

Larry Squires Member

Thanks. Can't say I disagree.

For the sake of discussion, especially for those of us that are relative new-comers to this experience.... how do you reconcile that perspective with the listed varieties noted above, e.g. 1961 DDR-004, -007, -008, -010, -011, -013, and -014. They are not dissimilar to my specimen. Are these varieties without value as well?

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You have to look at all of the known markers. I'm not a variety collector by any means. Doubling is caused by many things, all of which can be summed up as NAV Doubling or to put it more bluntly, worthless doubling. This type of doubling is very common and the coin is only worth it's face value. A true Doubled Die can get expensive and a minor one can be had for a few dollars.

6. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Larry Squires likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted