1962 D Is the eye an error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Youngmaster, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Youngmaster

Youngmaster New Member

The eye has something i wasnt sure about weather if its an error or not. What are ur thoughts? 20200430_003517.jpg 20200430_003735.jpg 20200430_003658.jpg 20200430_003433.jpg 20200430_003628.jpg 20200430_003517.jpg 20200430_003628.jpg 20200430_003433.jpg 20200430_003658.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Youngmaster

Youngmaster New Member

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Looks like a ding from circulation, not an error

5. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Ditto, PMD post mint damage.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

7. Youngmaster

Youngmaster New Member

8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

If you go to varietyvista.com not only will you find the rpm and doubled dies information as well design changes, mint mark styles.....and all this information is free ,and at your finger tips 24 /7

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

10. Youngmaster

Youngmaster New Member

So am i only supposed to base it on what a record says or is there a way to be able to identify from simply looking at it weather theres a doubling going on. I mean what qualifies a doubling to me the details are on the surface by looking at it shouldnt we b able to tell? Like finding a new error what makes that qualified as an error? Thats how good i want to get any advice on that? because im looking at this and im not seeing any scrapes on the eye just a pressing that could have be done once over or so i think based on the shape it has, this is why i mention it here what am I missing. Maybe you can answer that. Please dont tell me experience tell me what experience tell you... Should i look for any dis-qualifiers. Like on the surfaces that say Nope not an error. Feedback on this will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all your responses. I am really wanting to get good at this, again thanks!

11. Collecting Nut

There are a number of types of doubling on coins. Machine Doubling, Die Deterioration Doubling are the two most popular. Do some research on Doubled dies, like the 1955 obverse Doubled Die Cent and compare that Doubling to MD and DDD. A true Doubled Die will be worth more. All other forms of doubling are NAV or No Added Value Doubling.

12. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

And the two most frequent.

13. Collecting Nut

Yes they are.

14. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

The first time I came across one, I thought it was pretty special. After coming across quite a few of them in a very short period of time and learning about what it actually was from those on this site, I come to understand it's nothing really that special at all and quite a frequent occurrence with coins, especially with zinc pennies.

15. Collecting Nut

It's a shame isn't it? I love looking at a nice copper Lincoln, Memorial or a Wheat as they have style and class. These Zinc Cents rot while you hold them.

16. Youngmaster

Youngmaster New Member

Thank you for all the responses!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted