1962, 1964 D Jefferson Nickel mint errors verify

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by DAVID J SAUNDERS, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Some good old Jefferson nickels to check out and get your opinions.

The 1962 Jefferson nickel had indentation on the forehead and it appears outwardly on the reverse under the Monticello. After looking and re-looking at it, I'm of the opinion that this is a mint error. Tell me I'm wrong! Or tell me I'm right!

The 1964 D with the 'gouge' going across the forehead, I feel pretty comfortable in saying that his is also a mint error.

The 1964 D that had the die marks or cracks run up Jefferson's nose. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

I go through thousands of nickels and came up with these 'interesting pieces.

Thank you all.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I'm probably not the best to answer this, but it all looks like PMD (post mint damage) to me. If a die had a gouge in it, the resulting mark on the coin would stick up. These all look concave to me. Wait for for experienced members to chime in though.

Oldhoopster and Kevin Mader like this.
  4. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

All of them are damaged coins.
    Yes, correct

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

They are all PMD.

The indentation on the 1962 was caused after the coin was struck. Otherwise, there would be no bulge on the reverse.

The gouge through the rim and Jeff's head on the 1964D is obviously PMD because you can see coin metal pushed out along the edge. (Like the crater effect.) The same goes for the second 1964D with the scratch on Jeff's nose.

6. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

7. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

As mentioned, both those nickels
    are damaged.

There are no errors on either of them,
    I'm sorry to say,.

Draft saved Draft deleted