1961 Lincolns

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cman, Jul 28, 2010.

1. cman

cman Junior Member

I was at an antique shop and the lady there had 2 rolls of 1961 BU bank wrapped rolls 4 $3 each. Wld that be a good deal? Is there a want for 61's?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jon4485

Jon4485 Junior Member

seen a few on ebay for 6 bucks (including shipping), so that may just be like a $1 profit if lucky

4. cman

cman Junior Member

Well thank you. I might pick one up 4 my collection tho :)

5. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

I would pay $3.00 for any truly BU roll dated between 1959 & 1981. Maybe someone with a Grey Sheet can ring in with some of the bid/ask prices for BU rolls in this time period ?
    Oh and MM would make a difference also.

6. cman

cman Junior Member

they are phillys

7. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

I would definitely pay $3.00 for a roll of BU 1961-P Lincoln Memorial Cents due to there were almost 1,000,000,000 fewer minted than the 1961-D.

8. cman

cman Junior Member

Well good to know. I will get them next time i go

9. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

CDN ask $1.10, I can get these at coin shows for $1 easy.

If they're OBW rolls, they would have a premium.

10. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

The way I figure what they are worth to me is copper content and then the increased or decreased odds of finding some known varieties in a certain date/mm. I know this is just a personal preference but I have posted so many possible mint errors on this CT site that were too worn out to be able to attribute. I want to start dealing with AU or better coins for my variety searching , so I am willing to pay over Greysheet. If they are selling you a 50 cent roll of copper coins for $1.00 you are already ahead on the melt value alone.

11. cman

cman Junior Member

Thank you guys. I have calld the lady and they are there if i want them. When i go get them i will post back here. Im thinking i might open one roll just to c if they are all what they should be. Is that a bad idea?

12. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

That all depends on you and what you intend to do with them. If you intend to re-sell them as rolls , then it would be best to leave them in their original bank wrapper. However , if you intend to get into mint variety searching you could check out
    http://www.coppercoins.com/diesearch.php
    or
    http://www.briansvarietycoins.com/

to see if there are any KNOWN varieties possible for your particular year and mint mark. Then you can decide whether the premium for a particular variety in AU or better grade is worth more or less than selling the rolls unopened and unsearched.

13. panda

panda Junior Member

i would definitely pick them up. its only a few dollars, and older bu rolls are always good to have, at least imo.

not sure if there are any worthy varieties for the '61-P, so i don't know about opening them up. also i seen a '61-P in ms66 for sale for a "buy it now" price of $50, it didn't sell or is still for sale. so you would probably have to get lucky and find a 69 for it to possibly be worth it to open. i may be wrong on the last part, i couldn't find any recent ones that are higher then ms66 for sale.

14. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I'm not a big error/variety collector so I've mainly gone through a ton of BU rolls just looking for gem coins. It's VERY difficult to find MS-65 and up gems in Memorial cent rolls. In the hundreds of rolls I've been through in my life, I may have found 30 gem coins.

Point is.....look for gem coins and not just varieties.

Draft saved Draft deleted