1961 Lincoln beauty! Any pros with grading/ value skills that could please help?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BlondeWhit, Aug 27, 2019.

1. BlondeWhit

BlondeWhit Member

First let me clarify that the very last picture is a different penny but was not an accident when I posted it. At the end of my main question, I have one tiny little question that I hope someone could answer. But it's such a short question that I felt it would be easier to just let it tag along on this post instead of making one all about it seperately. Anyways...

I have never asked this question before but after finding this penny in such great shape i couldnt resist asking yall!

I dont know a whole lot about grading. Ive read and learned plenty but have zero experience with actually grading coins and then factoring in the year and how old it is etc...

I figured this would be the best place to ask and see if ive got something thats worth anything or if its just a plain ole 1 cented pretty penny

I also wasnt sure if these pics I posted are even enough to tell. If i need to zoom in more and post anything else that could help make it easier please let me know.

Also the last 2 pics of the 61' penny have a close up of the tiny lincoln on reverse side. He's doubled; Lol it looks like he has a ghost behind him! Not sure if its because of machine doubling or that i got lucky enough for it to be a doubled die.

Id be so greatful for any help/ advice! Oh, and back to that second unrelated question. The very last 2 pictures that I took is of a wheat penny but it is solid black on both sides of it and I've tried everything to get it off but nothing works. why did this happen and what is it? And is there anything I can do about it? They also say never clean your coins and I've always wondered if soap and water gently or soaking is an exception?

I know I've written, what could be considered practically a novel at this point but thank you, thank you, thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

IMO I would grade the 61-D cent AU 53 (looks like it's a weak strike or a worn die) and the 50-D F 15. I don't see the doubling on the reverse. Maybe it's the photos. Here's a good site for grading coins. It even has photos: https://www.pcgs.com/photograde
    They also have an app you can download to your smartphone. Get it from Google Play Store or Apple.

wood_ster likes this.
  4. BlondeWhit

BlondeWhit Member

Wow wonderful response thank you for your time! I'll check that out. It's been something I've recently been more motivated to learn alot more about too so perfect

wood_ster likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The 1961 cent is indeed pretty decent for a circulation find, if that's how you got it. Not bad at all for a 58-year-old cent.

However, it's a very common coin and that particular example is not worth any more than face value.

By all means, keep it if you think it's pretty. Put it in your penny folder if you have one of those going. I'm afraid it's not worth much monetarily, though. Just one cent.

wood_ster and markr like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted