1961 Franklin 50c DCAM?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by This_is_wes, Jul 15, 2019.

1. This_is_wes

This_is_wes Active Member

Received two Franklin half dollar proofs in a recently acquired collection. edited

I assumed they were both ultra cameo but am I missing something? Has some toning but the other does as well. Is toning less desirable on these or does it just boil down to the date?

I’ll get some better pics of the ‘57 and share shortly. For now here is the ‘61 in question.

381AF7D7-B983-4AA4-A8B4-31C3FDB3FC30.jpeg 6358AB18-D73A-4FE5-81B3-673984DCA0CC.jpeg 67E62C2B-5ACC-4CAC-9A00-A5D40048BE72.jpeg 6A97199E-BB60-4D21-BACA-5089584E422D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Sorry, your post is hard for me to follow. I’m confused at the photos posted. Are they the same coin? What years are the two coins you purchased? Which coin has the interest and which does not? And as I’m asking this, I realize you’re posting coins listed for auction, which is a no no. No advertising outside of the Buy/Sell/Trade.

4. This_is_wes

Same coin. Photos were taken at different angles to show mirror/toning.

Two coins are:
    1961 P Franklin Proof (this one)
    1957 p Franklin Proof

edited

Didn’t even mention where they were posted or how. Just trying to understand if this coin is considered DCAM. edited Genuinely asking.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2019
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yeah, you can, but it's a fine line that must be walked. For instance, if your post was made with no mention at all of them even being for sale - everything would have been fine. It's the way people word their posts that makes the difference.

Ya see, just by mentioning that the coins are for sale, anybody can contact you privately and make offers simply because you made them aware that they were for sale. And while it may not have been your intention, trust me, there's been plenty who done similar things with exactly that intention in mind ! Over the years people have tried just about every trick you an imagine to get around the rules regarding this issue.

bruthajoe likes this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

No, this coin would not receive a DCAM grade. Toning does not affect the designation, but breaks in the cameo do. It appears that there is a shiny spot at the point of his bust on the obverse. There also appears to be a bit of weakness in the cameo on the bell hanger and throughout his cheek. To qualify for DCAM, the mirrors must be deep and the cameo effect must be uniformly thick.

Depending on how forgiving the TPG may be, this coin may still qualify for CAM, but those aren't worth as much (and especially not in the medium grade this appears to be.)

7. This_is_wes

Thanks for the insight. I appreciate the help. Won’t mention any sale items in the future.

Draft saved Draft deleted