1961 D LMC With strange chip

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Inspector43, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

This coin is very dirty but at the bottom left of the Memorial building is what looks like a die chip or internal cud if there was such a thing. It might just be damage, but I don't see how it could result in this. Comments welcome. 210422164511077.jpg 210422164525279.jpg 210422164612348.jpg 210422164710516.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I'm going with damage but it is interesting and im not %100 sure.

4. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

That’s interesting. I wonder if it’s a start to a retained cud. I see a die crack in the first column also. It may be an early die state of something like this:
    upload_2021-4-22_17-15-20.jpeg

5. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

I think your on to the right answer there @Danomite early state die crack

Inspector43 and Danomite like this.
  6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Great observation @Danomite Thanks for the response.

Marites Foertsch and Danomite like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A cud must touch the rim. This looks like the start of a die crack to me.

8. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

@Inspector43 It looks like a typical chip in the die. With every design, there are points in that design that are high stress targets. They are prone to early failure relative to other parts of the die. Things can exacerbate that to: material hardness, the hardness of the tooling, angle of the die set, contact, die stage, shimming in areas under the die. I'm sure I'm missing a number of potential causes.

The wear-and-tear manifest in different ways at these stress points: cracks, chips, breaks, etc. Could be minor...might be catastrophic. But what ever it is, it'll show up on the coin. LMCs are known for the cracks from the corners of the Lincoln Memorial. And all about the columns too.

Inspector43 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted