1961 -D lincoln mem cent mint error on collar?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jarksmyworld, May 7, 2024.

1. Jarksmyworld

Jarksmyworld Member

Hello everyone
    I have a 1961-D lincoln mem cent with this error on the collar I believe it is. If you look on the back of the coin the slice isn't cut through and it shows like extra metal on the collar as well. Your expert input is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

As Ed ( @paddyman98 ) always says, " No error of any kind". I have to respectfully say, Post Mint damage. Looks like it was deliberately cut. JMO. biggrin.gif

JPD3, Neal and Spark1951 like this.
  4. Jarksmyworld

Jarksmyworld Member

Thank you for your opinion

5. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

I'm seeing a whole lot of damage on a heavily circulated coin. At least you'll always have the copper value of about 2-3 cents.

JPD3 likes this.
  6. Jarksmyworld

Jarksmyworld Member

That is true on the copper aspect and damage
    Well I will continue to search all my coins
    Thanks for your input

7. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

@Jarksmyworld I applaud you for wanting to make a go of your error searching... might I suggest doing a bit of reading on the minting process? I think you will find it will make the search a much more efficient one for you if you can start weeding out the ones that for sure couldn't have happened before leaving the mint.

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/production-process/coin-production

JPD3 and Jarksmyworld like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It’s worn and it’s damaged. Keep looking.

9. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

The dead giveaway to me is that the damaged area is nice and shiny while the rest of the coin has circulation damage and is corroded to a degree with patina and such. Ask yourself, if this was a mint error where damage happened, how's come the damaged area didn't get corroded with patina and such like the rest of the coin?

JPD3, Jarksmyworld and alurid like this.
  10. Jarksmyworld

Jarksmyworld Member

@cwart @VistaCruiser69 I will definitely read that thank you and yes that does make sense hie you out that I didn't even think of that.
    I still have 100% to learn in voin collecting for error coins. Thanks to all of you

cwart likes this.
  11. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

@Jarksmyworld you’ve found a great resource here at Coin Talk…, use us wisely.:D

JPD3 likes this.
  12. Jarksmyworld

Jarksmyworld Member

Thank you @cwart
    I will do my best

13. Jarksmyworld

Jarksmyworld Member

@cwart I also have the cherry pickers book on kindle so I will be reading about the minting process tonite thanks again

14. Jarksmyworld

Jarksmyworld Member

Screenshot_20240508_225053_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240508_225105_Chrome.jpg Ok so found this type error called a struck thru rum burr. It does look like this coin??
    I could be wrong but it really does.
    Curious to hear what everybody that responds think ....

15. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, it's not the same, doesn't even look the same. On the nickel example above, the "ES" of "STATES", and the "O" of "Of" shows on the piece of material (Rim Burr) that's damaged. This supports the fact that the damage to the rim (Rim Burr) occurred before the die pressed into the material - mint damage. Rim damage after the die pressed into the material - post mint damage.

Last edited: May 14, 2024
    Jarksmyworld likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted