1961-1963 John F Kennedy 35th presidential silver coin

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Sumzmommy, May 30, 2016.

?

Is this a valuable rare error coin?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Sumzmommy

Sumzmommy I'm always looking for the next burried treasure

20160530_060258.jpg 20160530_060853.jpg 20160530_060258.jpg 20160530_060853.jpg 20160530_060853.jpg 20160530_060258.jpg 20160530_060853.jpg 20160530_060258.jpg This is my 1961 to 1963 John F Kennedy presidential silver coin.
    I'm having a little bit of trouble finding a image of the same exact coin as mine to compare, and research for more information.
    The coin failed the "flip test" after I filp the coin it appears to be upside down on the reverse side. That's an error itself. The other problem i have noticed is the reverse side should be all words like most presidential coins right? I cannot find a this particular presidential coin with a reverse side simular to the Kennedy half dollar.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Yours is not a coin but a medal. Struck in .999 silver. Not sure who minted it, a lot of places did stuff like this, perhaps someone else will know more about it.
    I found your medal in a quick google image search on sale on ebay.

4. smarch

smarch Active Member

Medal orientation because it is a medal, reckon part of a set minted on inexpensive planchets, a little research should reveal more.

5. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

It's some kind of medallion. Many different ones were made over the years. Where did you get it?

6. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

It's silver.

7. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

To answer your question: Is this a valuable rare error coin?

No.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Notice how the Reverse states "THE PRESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES" it's plural not singular.. part of some commemorative medal set.

Sumzmommy, Seattlite86 and TJ1952 like this.
  9. Sumzmommy

Wow, I feel really silly right now lol.
    I was google searching it using the word coin. I just used Google and used the term medallion instead of coin and it popped up qucik. :(
    what a bummer deal, I guess I got all worked up because I've heard of coins that were struck with an error that showed a completely different coin on one side. What coins were struck with such a rare error?

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Here is an example that I own. Not from the US Mint and came from Readers Digest magazine
    20160530_092146.jpg 20160530_092156.jpg

11. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

In addition to cheaply made, a very poor representation of the President! Something you would see made in China.

Sumzmommy likes this.
  12. Sumzmommy

No I didnt notice that, but yea I see what your talking about. The coin is still worth spot price for silver right?

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. Sumzmommy

Lol thank you!

14. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Many different coins, many different errors. You could spend a lifetime learning it all.....if you start right now. LoL! :happy:

http://coinauctionshelp.com/page14.html#.V0xBKGa7W-q

Sumzmommy likes this.
  15. Sumzmommy

Well good news for my 7yr old, she can hold onto this one herself instead of waiting until she's older. She wants to hold on to her own coins, and be a collector like her momma!

paddyman98 likes this.
  16. Sumzmommy

Thanks for the link! I guess the error I was hoping for is called a muled coin

Cascade likes this.
  17. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

It looks more brass in color than silver to me o_O

18. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming it is silver based on the .999 that is on the reverse under the eagle. Could very well not be silver.

TJ1952 likes this.
  19. smarch

smarch Active Member

It is difficult for me to make out the .999 under the eagle, but even so .999 is usually followed or preceded by the metal used, silver, au, ag, gold, etc. I agree with previous post, it doesn't look like silver to me.

20. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Just be careful! Children like to put things in their mouth.

The correct term is "mule".

Chris

21. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'll have to disagree with you. I've been collecting medals for more than 20 years, and I've seen the .999 used both with and without a metal abbreviation. I'm talking about legitimate companies like Medallic Art Co. and Danbury Mint.

The OP's obverse photo may simply require an adjustment to the white balance.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted