1960 Type B reverse 25c

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by zach24, Jan 17, 2012.

1. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I love type B quarters. I think the only one I am missing is the 1956. I even have the 1964-D Type C.

4. zach24

I have tooken an interest to them lately, they seem to be a great variety for Cherrypicking! Like this coin, retail on this piece is $50, and can be had for $23!

5. Fall Guy

Fall Guy Active Member

How can you tell the difference?

6. zach24

There are a number of diagnostics.

First: the space between 'E' and 'S' in STATES, there is a noticeable seperation, which there is not on the business reverse, much like the Lincoln Cent WAMs and CAMs.

Second: The 'A' in DOLLAR is visibly touching a leaf, on business strike, this design element is extremeley weak and barely noticeable.

Third: The 'M' in UNUM perfectly brackets the 'IB' of PLURIBUS

Fourth: The arrow tips of the arrows held by the eagle are lower than the leaf that immediately ouches them at the tip.

Fifth: The Right Wing tip comes to a point, very strong, but on the business strike it is not.

7. Fall Guy

Fall Guy Active Member

Awesome info thank you! I compared it to a non type B and can definitely see the difference now.

8. Fall Guy

Fall Guy Active Member

And this was from 1956 to 1964? I also didn't see it listed in the NGC or PCGS price guide.

9. zach24

Yeah, '56 to 64 Philadelphia mint Quarters. I looked and didnt see any either. The one pictured would porobably go for $40 if listed properly, slabbed even more. If you're looking to begin a set, this would make a great starter!

10. zach24

11. CamaroDMD

Yes, it's a popular variety. It was caused by the use of a proof reverse die on those quarters. These features are on all proofs from those years, when you find them on a business strike is when it is special. There is also what is known as a Type C for 1964-D quarters.

12. zach24

Well it's gone! I hope a CoinTalker got it!

13. I will trade you my 1956 Type B for your 1964 Type C. :D :just-sign: TC

14. CamaroDMD

I think I will pass on that...but I appreciate the offer. :rolleyes: :D

Actually, the Type C was a gift to me from a good friend and I don't think I will ever let it go. It's graded AU50 by PCGS. Here are some photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. zach24

Do any of you have any of the Type 'M's?

16. CamaroDMD

I do not. :(

17. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Retail on that particular isn't any $50 given the dull lifeless look of the coin. I would think that $12 might have been stretching the price a bit. But, it appears that someone picked it up for $20. Not necessarily a real good deal IMO.

18. CamaroDMD

I hadn't seen the $50 price quote on this coin. I agree with Lyds...this coin is somewhat dull in appearance and in my eyes is not a gem specimen. I would not drop $50 on this coin...I don't think I would even pay the $20.

19. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

The '60 is one of the more common Type B's, with MS66 the highest graded, and I agree with 19Lyds....that '60 was not worth the $20 bid. Unless the coin is a 65 or higher, they really aren't worth the grading/atribution fees, with the exception of the '56, '61, '62, and the '64-D Type C. They were on absolute FIRE for awhile, but seems only the top-pops are where the good money is....with the exception of the ones I mentioned. At PCGS, those 4 dates I mentioned all have pops under 70 total. Find any one of those dates in MS65-MS66, you have done well. Once they become more popular with collectors, other than strictly Washie guys AND variety guys really paying attention to them, THEN the common dates may take off.

Don't forget about the near impossible to find clad '69-D-'72-D Type B (which have been re-designated to Type H, in the latest edition of the CPG, but the same PUP's as the '56-64 Type B's). THOSE are really impossible to find.

As far as the Type M, I have one....small white ANACS holder, MS67, gorgeous toning, but I suspect that to be due to the holder it's in. It's a 67 in anyones holder....but they are alot easier to find than the Type B. The '56 is THE toughest to find in MS65 and above (only 5 in MS66 at PCGS, and I just made one of them!!) The '64-D Type C, I've made probably 1/6 of the pop at PCGS, but they are TOUGH to find in MS. Which leads to discussion of which is really 'king'....I tend to see the '56 as the king (but there are only 22 graded below MS, and the '64-D Type C has 36 under MS, so, there is an argument, but regardless, BOTH are extremely hard to find.

20. zach24

Ok, guys I was going on previous Ebay listings for other dates :( As there isn't a price guide, that I know of.

Draft saved Draft deleted