1960 Lincoln Large/Small Date

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BigsWick, Feb 6, 2006.

1. BigsWick

BigsWick Rat Powered

Is there an "easy" way to tell the difference? I'm starting to put a set of Lincoln cents together and need to know the difference for my album. Any pictures or links to pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

here are photos of both types from my proof sets.The 0 is quite a bit smaller in comparison.Check it out against the 6 next to it.The top of the small 0 lines up with the top of the curl on the 6 while the large one goes above the curl..kind of hard to see but that's the test.

Attached Files:

4. BigsWick

BigsWick Rat Powered

5. Midas

Midas Coin Hoarder

I always look at the "6". If it is shorter/"fatter", that is the small date:

[​IMG]

Compared to the large date or, which is the more common variety:

[​IMG]

6. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

The curl of the 6 is the test I go by.
    Tight and tall for the LD
    Loose and Low for the SD

7. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

That is one of the Lincolns that is really tuff to figure out which is which unless you have one of each next to each other. However, if you have the Red Book there is nice photo of one next to the other where the difference is quite clear. In a book called "Looking Through Lincoln Cents" there is a great enlarged photo showing the difference. Not sure but that same photo may be on the author's web site called coppercoins.com
    It's that dumb 70S small and large date that drives me nuts.
    Things like this make me wonder just how much time people have on the hands to notice things like that.
    Also, why do organizations put slots for such things in their albums?

8. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Hey Folks,

While your checking out your 1960-P & D Large and Small Date Lincolns, don't forget to look for the rare overdates (DDO's)! There is a 1960-P Proof "Large over Small Date", a 1960-P Proof "Large over Large over Small Date" and a 1960-D Business Strike "Small over Large Date" that are quite valuable. There are also numerous "D" over "D" RPM Varieties in the 1960-D Cents.

Frank

9. Midas

Midas Coin Hoarder

Like this one?? 1960 PCGS PR68RD SD over LD, Pop 7/0 :mouth:

Attached Files:

10. BigsWick

BigsWick Rat Powered

Yup.

I have ten 1960-Ds, 7 of which are what I believe to be small dates. I'm fairly new to collecting Lincolns, so I was surprised when I ran across slots for large and small date 1960s in my Dansco album.

The only way I was able to tell one from the other was to put each coin side by side until I could finally see the difference under magnification. Scanning in the coins I linked in my previous post helped also.

I don't even want to think about the 1970-S yet.....

11. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

You have one next to the other, it's pretty obvious. Unlike the 1970, neither one is significantly rarer than the other. I think the large date (or was it the small date?) was actually minted in late 1959.

1970-S small date is the key among Lincoln Memorial Lincoldns, I suppose, lol. Still you're not talking extremely rare. I usually see them for around $50 to $100 or so. They actually seem to be slightly more common as proofs rather than business strikes, at least I see the proofs for sale more often.

12. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Midas,

You got it! That is a really nice specimen! Is it the highest graded one ever graded? If not, I doubt that there couldn't be many graded any higher as many of the 1960 Cents (Proofs included) have a lot of issues??!!

Frank

13. Midas

Midas Coin Hoarder

The first pic I posted was a stock picture I had for reference. Here's the real story...

My birth year is 1960 and I have a number of 1960 proof sets. I bought this small date set because the red in the set was a knock-down beautiful RED and much better than what I had. It wasn't CAM, but none the less, this Red was tops. Frankly the other coins were NOT as nice, so I figured for $55, but the heck??

The Lincoln also had no marks or carbon spots. Upon further examination, I noticed the SD over LD, but wasn't sure. I took it to my trusted dealer and he thought it was the real deal. Off to PCGS it goes with fingers crossed. Comes back MS68RD!! Population 7/0. I got real lucky. A true GEM in the rough. It is now added to my Lincoln memorial proof registry set. #13 and climbing...

Here is a pic of the actual coin/slab for show-n-tell. It goes to show you that sometimes you have to REALLY look at some of these coins and you never know what you may find. BTW...the airbrush is so that these registration numbers do not fall into the wrong hands. Paranoid? Maybe...but it is now the prize of the Lincoln set.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted