1960 Jefferson nickle doubling obv and rev

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by catdaddy457, Sep 8, 2011.

1. catdaddy457

catdaddy457 New Member

hello all you special coin folks. hope you can give me some info on this 1960 nickle i found in my pocket change. there iis doubling on the face on the obverse and doubling around monticello dome and also some of the words on the reverse. is this a real ddo ddr? 1960 nickle.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rrekowjr

rrekowjr Member

First off, thanks for posting and for the pictures. I am a big fan of Jefferson Nickels but I am a novice when it comes to Jefferson Double Die varieties but I will try to give you whatever information I can.

At first glance I am looking to see what type of doubling may have occurred. On the obverse what appears to be a Distorted Doubling is most likely just a light distortion in my opinion. The reverse however looks like a potential Rotated Hub Doubling. It is impossible to say for sure without seeing the area in question (like the "O" or "M") closer and with the coin flat. Light can do funny things to our eyes and cameras. I am constantly looking for Full Step nickels and I can say that what you see at one angle in a certain light might not be the same from another angle or in different light.

I referenced "The Best of the Jefferson Nickel Doubled Die Varieties" 2nd edition by Wexler & Ribar and was unable to find any shown 1960 DDR examples to match what yours looks like.

Perhaps another picture straight on the "O" or "M" will help or maybe one of the Double Die experts on the site will be more helpful. Until then make sure you hold onto it! :)

Thanks
    Raul

4. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

I love Jefferson nickels as well so will be looking forward to hearing more...

5. catdaddy457

catdaddy457 New Member

thanks i will get more pics. if you click on the picture it will zoom and you can see the doubling on the nose and forhead pretty good.

Draft saved Draft deleted