1960 Graded proof65

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by GARY R COYIER, Mar 28, 2021.

1. GARY R COYIER

GARY R COYIER Well-Known Member

Recently purchased DBL DIE REV. But does not mention the black streaks on OBV. Under scope the black steaks look like missing silver. Graded PR65. Agree? 20210328_101608.jpg 20210328_102108.jpg 20210328_101737.jpg 20210328_101214.jpg

SouthSide and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Roller marks?I guess 65 is fine im no expert on these coins.

SouthSide likes this.
  4. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

The obverse pics really don't show much about the fields except for the streaks. Your lighting is blocking out everything else. I would be happy with the 65.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The black streaks are not missing silver

6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Who graded it?

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  7. potty dollar 1878

Looks like an old ANACS slab.

GARY R COYIER and expat like this.
  8. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

9. potty dollar 1878

Theres no sign of metal disturbance though it can't be a lamination,it looks like someone drew with a black crayon on the coin.

10. GARY R COYIER

It is ANACS,

Attached Files:

11. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Good point

12. GARY R COYIER

13. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

there's your options on the DDR:
    http://www.varietyvista.com/11 Franklin Halves/DDRs 1960.htm

I agree with PR65. Middle of the road Proof Franklin half, although PCGS or NGC might make it PR64, they are harsher in my opinion than ANACS is. But I think ANACS grades fairly.

Gonna be honest with ya, I see frankins like this occasionally on Ebay, I'm not a fan of this, reverse is spotty around the edge, obverse is streaky. It's not going through the color shifts you'd expect....and just went to dark in those areas.

I don't see them like this in the OMP, so I think it's some sort of an aftermarket set holder that did it, maybe the cardboard inset to one of the lens holders.....

my opinion if you are in the market for The DDR, then these other factors are a consideration, but they aren't the main selling point, the DDR is.

Up to you on the eye appeal, and if you don't like it, that's not gonna change later on at least, not without a crack out and a dip.
    the black streaks are surface toning in my opinion, Silver(I) oxide if I took a educated guess and not the usual overall hazy toning that rainbows.

GARY R COYIER likes this.
  14. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

the more I think about it, The more I think that's what's going on, contact with sulfur and air. maybe a Kraft paper envelop or storage in a early holder with sulfur or a chloride, some chemical in the paper process.

No idea what you have into this coin, or if it's worth sending for conservation and reholdering, or if it would even help to fix the issue or wouldn't uncover a bigger issue. I know "In cases where PCGS determines that removing toning is necessary and desirable and will not detract from the coin, it may be done".

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1961-50c-ddr-fs-803/146013
    the PR67 on this page on the right shows signs on both sides of the same spotting, although no streaking. I think they all have it, just the first two are pictured with lighting that hides it better, so I think it's fairly normal for it's age.

for 1960, they seem to really go out of the way to keep them dark so as not to highlight the spotting, but it's clearly there on most of them that aren't "lit up" around the edge/rim of the coins.

I'd think, and it's up to you, if you can't live with it, and unhappy, maybe return the purchase if you can and wash your hands of it rather than follow bad money with bad money.
    If it was cheap enough, if the DDR is one of the more valuable ones, if it's cost effective and hard to find a better example of, then it might be worth the conservation costs, and a more modern/new holder listing the specific DDR all in all might be a win overall.

What I can gather from what's visible of the slab, it's a Generation 4 or Generation 5 ANACS slab, so this was likely in the holder around 1991-1996 if it's not that small as Gen4,I think. If Gen5 it's 1996-1999 I think. I'm not too great at identifying the slabs,
    either way it's been in that holder a while I think. It's 6 digit number and logo on the back is the red/orange color, not the golden.
    i think at least a 20 year old slab and grading. Maybe close to 25-30 years.

you can compare slab here if yoyu have interest in nailing it down:
    https://docs.google.com/presentatio...oqnAA51ErVhLf8/edit#slide=id.g5f2b1aa021_0_62

GARY R COYIER likes this.
  15. GARY R COYIER

Thank you John Burgess. I believe it is the Gen5 as the white insert stops at coin edge, not under. I am just a collector for fun with my grandson who will be the benifactor of my "fun hobby". I do thank you for giving all the choices that one could choose, maybe someone else learned something new too. I do love reading and learning everyday here on coin talk. thanks agin.

John Burgess likes this.
  16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Interesting listing of the ANACS generations. Haven't checked it out completely but I can say there are two additional sub varieties in the Generation 6 slabs (1999 - 2006, I had the end at 2005). In April of 2001 the bar code had two additional characters added the earlier ones have 17 groups the later have 19. And around September of 2004 they made a change to the font on the front label. Difficult to describe but easily seen on MS graded coins. On the earlier ones the central V of the M ends about 3/4 of the way down. On the later ones it extends all the way down ending even with the bottoms of the uprights of the M (all on the same baseline).

GARY R COYIER and John Burgess like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted