1960 D Obv Die Break 4 each identical

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Inspector43, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Here is a more radical 1960-D that I found in my circulated coins. Would this be called an RPM?
    1960 D Double (1).jpg 1960 D Double (2).jpg

Spark1951 and Collect89 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

4. Inspector43

alurid likes this.
  5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Hello @Inspector43

Your 1960-D cent is certainly a VERY good example of a RPM. Cool find. I envy you being able to search 50-60 year old MS coins. Good photos by the way! :)

I don't know if your coin is the one that @alurid posted. To be certain, you will need to search all the RPMs at varietyvista like this one perhaps?: http://www.varietyvista.com/02b LC RPMs Vol 2/1960DRPM109.htm
    Check-out #54, #109, & #113. If you don't see your coin in the 100+ 1960-D examples, then you found a new one. Note that die scratches like those in the OP are shown on several varietyvista listings.

Edit to add: Like I said, I envy you. 10 years ago I got to search a similar hoard of MS cents. Here is the 2009 thread: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ro...f-these-1957-d-are-keepers.61588/#post-770959

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  6. Inspector43

Wow and great. Thanks for the feedback. I think I have a roll of 1957 in that pile somewhere. I really appreciate the hints. In my 70 years of collecting all I looked for was date, mint and eye appeal. I missed a big part of collecting. Playing catch up is difficult but I thank all the members of CT.

Collect89 and alurid like this.
  7. Inspector43

8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Does it have the die chip and break on Right Cornice?

9. Inspector43

I would say yes. It is worn but the chip and the break seem to be there.

10. Inspector43

Here is the best photo I could get of the right corner. I just opened a mint roll of 60-D Cents and hope to have some variations. 1960-D Rev RPM049.jpg

alurid likes this.
  11. Inspector43

I have been through a lot of 1960 LMC's and it is getting interesting. I just dumped out this mint roll to take a look. I got these back in my IMG_5603.JPG High School days.

alurid likes this.
  12. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

I went to my LCS a while back and picked up some foil wrapped rolls of 60 & 60D cents. Out of the 5 rolls, I found 25 with the exact same die clash and polishing lines. I think I even posted them but can't remember for sure?

Inspector43 likes this.
  13. Inspector43

If you remember where they are posted please let us know. I would like to see them.

14. Inspector43

I started this post with 4 identical die scratches. I have looked at the batch again and found one more with the same die scratches. Attached is number 5. 1960 D Die Break 5.jpg

15. Inspector43

I am replying to the furrow question (late I'm sure). But I have attached a photo that shows a die crack on the skull below the hair line. This same die crack is on all 5 examples. 1960 D Die Break Cracked Skull #2.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted