1960-D LMC SD Minor RPM Unlisted

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Pete Apple, May 4, 2020.

1. Pete Apple

Pete Apple Well-Known Member

Just sharing.

1960-D SD RPM

Looks like an unlisted RPM. Very difficult to see, much less photograph! Has plenty of significant markers!

This RPM is so minor that I did not find it until after examining a couple dozen coins from this same die!
    Detail RPM.jpg 6 Detail.jpg B Detail.jpg Crack Detail.jpg OBV.jpg REV.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Ordinarily, everything you say makes sense, but I'm really confused about this one. Personally, I don't see an RPM, so I don't understand how you can justify the attribution just because a few coins have the same markers. Isn't that like putting the cart before the horse? ~ Chris

capthank likes this.
  4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I agree with Chris, I do not see the RPM. IMO, Jim

5. Pete Apple

I have a red arrow pointing at the split serif. You might have to click and expand the photo a wee bit.
    As I said it is minor - smallest I have seen

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    capthank likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

I saw your red arrow, and I still don't agree with you. ~ Chris

7. Pete Apple

If that is not a split serif then what is it? It is repeated on every one of these coins.

8. cpm9ball

Maybe it is supposed to look like that. How about taking photos without the glare of the light coming from the west? ~ Chris

9. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

Zowy4 likes this.
  10. Pete Apple

Thank you so much! Never once did it occur to me to check mint mark styles! You are right on target with a most helpful answer!

I am amazed that the same faulty punch was used for 9 years (actually slightly since 53 and 62 each saw 2 different punches used. Does that mean the mint had only ONE punch? or did they have duplicates with the same fault???

Danomite likes this.
  11. Andrew Snovell

Andrew Snovell Active Member

12. Danomite

This might help:
    https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/682/

Andrew Snovell, Zowy4 and Dynoking like this.
  13. Pete Apple

Excellent article. Thank you. I am not sure it helps me understand though. Let me spell out my question in a little more detail:

1. MMS-006 was used 1953-1962. 53 and 62 each saw one other mint mark style, so 006 was in use for around 8 years.
    2. MMS-006 shows an upper split serif.
    3. Surely there was not ONLY One punch used for all those 8 years??
    4. If there had been more than one punch, they all had the split serif.
    5. I notice that the split serif varies in its prominence. I assume that is from wear during use?
    6. Since the split serif is ubiquitous during those years, if there were multiple punches made were they all made from the same source similar to the way a hub sources multiple dies?

14. Danomite

1. Correct, 1953 and 1962 were transitional years for Denver Mint Marks.

2. Yes

3.From everything I’ve read that is the case. There are different punches for different mints and denominations for a given period.
    upload_2020-5-5_12-37-19.jpeg
    4. There was only one punch and it was used until it broke or replaced with a different design.

5. There are many factors that affect the mint mark appearance. Punch wear, die wear, and how the die was punched ( light, tilted etc.).

6. If I understand it right, each punch was unique.

This is my understanding of the mint mark punches. If anyone else has more or better info, I’d like to hear it. I hope this helps.

15. Pete Apple

Thanks - most helpful info!
    What is the source of your text on 70-81?

Here is a brief paper I put together. Not really directly applicable to my questions here.

Attached Files:

Danomite likes this.
  16. Danomite

The Complete Guide to Lincoln Cents by David W. Lange. Fourth edition.

Pete Apple likes this.
  17. Pete Apple

I looked at the Lange reference. He seems to maintain that the same D mintmark was used from 1933 through 1979! I can see that might be a generic reference to a "large D", however, rather than to the specific styles.

Thanks for the help!

Danomite likes this.
  18. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Danomite likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted