1960 D Cent: Altered, I Believe with Fake Dies? (Rotated Dbl Strk)

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JCro57, Apr 25, 2019.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Coin has expanded unevenly, but is not a broadstrike. Pretty sure it was hit with fake dies to resemble a rotated double strike and the doubling is raised.

~Joe C.
    0425190912a_HDR.jpg 0425190912_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Not an error expert at all however I am intrigued by these. Wouldn't creating a fake die be a near insurmountable "garage job" so to speak?

spirityoda likes this.
  4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I concur.
    The maker also didn't use high quality process to create a collar (if at all) to maintain it's roundness.

I should also add, the person who did this pivoted their die around as they didn't have enough pressure because of Abe sticking up. Which if they did would have just smooshed it more as there probably was no collar.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Stevearino and Seattlite86 like this.
  5. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Not that hard if you are able to do a little grinding on the flat surface of a die with a Dremel.
    With swage dies, either manual or hydraulic, there are three parts to the die.
    The body that contains an insert that you screw in or out, and the punch you push in. Copper is relatively soft. All you need to do is engrave or grind what you want on the cent into the face of either internal part and Smoosh them together.

6. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Overstruck with False Dies/Fake Dies

7. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Take brass plate, put cent on it head side down hit with sledge hammer. Take another brass plate put cent on it reverse down hit with sledge hammer. you now ove a pair of "soft" fake dies. Put cent between the two dies and hit the stack with sledge hammer. Result is a coin like the OP coin. The "dies will only last for one ot two coins but it is easy to make another set.

JCro57 and thomas mozzillo like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted