1959 white penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JMazzella, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Rachel L Frost

Rachel L Frost New Member

Have one with D mint mark. Cant find no price on it. Does anyone know the value????
    Got ours out of my husbands dads things. Does anyone really know the value of it

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes.. Look at the back of the Coin.. ONE CENT!

Bate likes this.
  4. AkFlip

AkFlip Member

It only has value to these people if they're selling it to you

5. Nethengeic

Nethengeic New Member

1959 pennies were made with the Memorial reverse for the 1st year. They are quite common in circulation, and were made at both Philadelphia and Denver mints. Proofs were also made.
    A 1959-D wheat penny has been reported to be found by a collector in Oakland in the 1980s, authenticated by the Secret Service twice.

6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT!

A lot of small coins have been subjected to plating or chemistry experiments that alter their appearance. Keep looking, though!

7. Jimmy724

Jimmy724 New Member

I have had one for a while. If you scratch the coin you can see the copper under it. Someone for whatever reason must have plated them after mint. Not worth anything

8. Jimmy724

Jimmy724 New Member

I have had one for a while. If you scratch the coin you can see the copper under it. Someone for whatever reason must have plated them after mint. Not worth anything

9. Jimmy724

Jimmy724 New Member

10. Jimmy724

Jimmy724 New Member

No value to this coin. It's a regular penny that has been electroplated. If you scratch it you can see the copper under the chrome

11. Mr Penny

Mr Penny New Member

I have a lot of pennies. And I mean a lot. 150 pound of wheat pennies. I also have a 1959 penny that is magnetic. But mine is a proof and marked with an D. I also have a 1946 and a 1962 no mint mark and they are both magnetic as well. The 1946 was my 1st one. I checked around and was told during the war they recycled spent ammo and mixed it in with the coins. I found 3 1946 pennies magnetic for sale. one was 10, another 25, and the last one was 1000. (not sure if he sold that one) So if anyone has anything to add i am also quite interested as I now have 3 with different years and in no way were mine altered by the mint

12. Mr Penny

Mr Penny New Member

I have a lot of pennies. And I mean a lot. 150 pound of wheat pennies. I also have a 1959 penny that is magnetic. But mine is a proof and marked with an D. I also have a 1946 and a 1962 no mint mark and they are both magnetic as well. The 1946 was my 1st one. I checked around and was told during the war they recycled spent ammo and mixed it in with the coins. I found 3 1946 pennies magnetic for sale. one was 10, another 25, and the last one was 1000. (not sure if he sold that one) So if anyone has anything to add i am also quite interested as I now have 3 with different years and in no way were mine altered by the mint

13. paddyman98

Recycled Spent ammo will not make any Cent attracted to a magnet, they would be made of old copper shell casings. Only the 1943 Steel Cent is attracted to magnets. If your Cent is 'magnetic', then it probably was plated outside the Mint. The prices you saw are ludicrous. If from ebay, remember that people sell coins for any price they want even if it's not an error.

Also... you should always start your very own unique thread, this way you get a lot more views and responses. INCLUDE PICTURES OF BOTH SIDES OF YOUR COINS.

14. paddyman98

Yes way! We have seen many over the years on CoinTalk and I have seen may in my 30+ years of collecting Mint Errors and non Errors.

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Denver did not make proofs.

You coins are almost certainly plated with nickel which is magnetic. Nickel is also often used as a base plating before it is plated with a different metal.

I'm sure they were not altered by the mint as well, they were altered after they left the mint.

16. Mr Penny

Mr Penny New Member

17. Mr Penny

Mr Penny New Member

Aside from NGC PCGS Or Anacs is there somewhere local that could authenticate coins? Not sure my local coin shop is quite qualified to do so

18. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I'm sorry, but these are plated after they left the mint. The Coin Talk forum gets questions about these on a regular basis.

At one time, electroplating was a common experiment done in schools to teach kids about chemistry. Copper cents work really well in this experiment and were cheap to use. Kids would get to take home their "experiment" and many of these ended up in circulation. Nickel and chrome are magnetic so if they were plated with either of these, then they would stick to a magnet.

Right now, you are using a the most cost effective method to tell you about plated cents. There are numerous people on here with years of experience in numismatics and minting errors, including the 2 that previously responded to your question. If that's not enough, there isn't much you can do but send them to a third party grader. However, my recommendation is that you save your money because they will be returned as altered coins.

Now if you really want to have some fun, start looking for through that mountain of cents to find significant mint errors

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  19. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

You've posted photos (or someone has)
    of your cents, and we've all called them
    as plated novelty items, done after the
    left the Mint -

Yes, take them to your local coin shop and
    they'll tell you the same thing; OR --- have
    your local coin shop or jewelry store weigh
    them for you, in either grams or grains.

I assure you, that the cents you have (dated before 1983)
    will weigh the same as a normal copper cent, or .1 to .2 grams
    more than a normal copper cent - sometimes the plating
    adds .1, and sometimes it doesn't.

Normal copper cents weigh 3.1 grams or 48 grains.

I assure you your cents will weigh 3.1 to 3.3 grams,
    or 48 to 48 grains.

This will save you submitting them, and paying for,
    authentication fees that don't need to be spent.

20. Mark Daniel

Mark Daniel New Member

I just found the same penny. Weight it comparing it to a 1977 penny. Both of them have the same weight of 3.1 g. This is just according to my scale. The penny has No Mint Mark and it is not magnetic and also copper is visible on the side of the coin.

21. Mark Daniel

Mark Daniel New Member

Sorry not to mention it. This is a 1959 Silver penny with no Mint Mark.

Draft saved Draft deleted