1959 Washington Quarter Type B

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mark Metzger, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Just looking for confirmation on the reverse type on this Washington qtr.
    Thanks!
    IMG_4418.JPG IMG_4417.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Yup, that's a type 2. Nice find!

19Lyds likes this.
  4. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

What sort of effect does that have on value? Any thoughts on the grade of my coin? AU? Low MS?

5. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I'd put it at AU55-58. There is a small premium for the type 2 reverse, but how much I couldn't say. Cherrypicker's Guide puts the premium over and type 1 rev at $35 vs $7.50, but I'd think you'd be closer to $20

6. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Based solely on the photo's which show some hits and scrapes but no real luster breaks, I'd go MS-63 to MS64.
    The 1959 Type B Reverse IS available in US Mint sets so it's not really that uncommon and as such, one of the easier coins to obtain.

Values for Type B Reverses are totally dependent on Grade and at MS-64 tops, not really that much of a premium. Good money rolls in at MS-66 and above.

PCGS Attribution will cost you more than what the coin is really worth ($18 Grading Fee + $18 Attribution Fee + $21.95 return Shipping + Original Shipping costs) so, as it sits right now, it's just a nice coin for your collection.

Of course, you could also go the ANACS route if you really wanted to slab the coin but it would still be more than it's market value.

Just my opinion of course.

7. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

What is type 2 and how does it differ from type 1?

Draft saved Draft deleted