1959 odd lines revisited

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Pickin and Grinin, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

As you can see this one was only shut down temporarily cause a few folks flared their tempers. Maybe you want to chime in @desertgem

Here is the thread. https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1959d-odd-lines.358344/page-4#post-4356960
    Why would a common damaged Lincoln cent thread be shut down because of a flared argument?

Is it because the OP @juslystn thought he had a viable error that was not normally seen?
    Or was it because his handle, his screen name said he wanted to learn?

Was it @cpm9ball for telling the blatant truth? :)shrugs shoulders,

Or was it because no one really saw the awesome photos the OP posted look at these.

This is the coin in question, I think we can get your other thread revisited once we figure out this one. How about a reverse photo?

[​IMG]
    BINGO....i suspect this is possibly the culprit

Definition: On rare occasions a pocket of gas forms and expands when a planchet is struck. The heat generated by the strike is deemed responsible for the gas expansion. The expanding gas pushes up the overlying metal, producing a rounded bulge with soft borders. If the roof remains intact, the error is designated an “occluded gas bubble”. If the roof explodes from the internal pressure, we call it a “ruptured gas bubble”.

ruptured gas bubbles may be the cause of the surface lines....the appearance of a scratch comes from the lid oof the gas bubble being ruptured

LOOK....you can see my light dispurse thru the rim of the coin in pic 4-5

[​IMG]
    This is a fissure in the planchet. Look within the void and to the right and the left. See the crack and/or split?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    See that bump on the left side of the fissure? It begins the linear split in the surface of the coin. I would like to see the reverse of this coin to make a better opinion of it.[​IMG] [​IMG]

Errors and Indians

I am stuck in the lamination category on both coins.
    That's a neat cent you have.
    One day each of us will remember that we don't know everything.

If you have any comments about the coin. Please join in with contradictions to my thoughts please give them your best scrutiny. I enjoy some good conversations. Yes, and that even means you @rascal @Avery G. @Lil ol' me @israel f .

Remembrance from @Kentucky

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Great photos from the original post; quite impressive! Shame some folks are so quick to lash out at others (I've been guilty of this a number of times myself, so my house is made of glass too). I think you might be onto something. Here's an occluded gas bubble coin that I own and have stored... somewhere. This was confirmed (photographically) by Fred Weinberg.
    1946 Lincoln gas bubbles.jpg 1946 Lincoln 2.JPG 1946 Lincoln.JPG

Mark1971, capthank and rascal like this.
  4. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

These occluded gas bubbles on these older copper cents must be quite scarce. I have never found one in my near 50 years of collecting coins. I have found many of the laminated planchet ones but never one where the gas bubble had not popped open.

Mark1971 and Seattlite86 like this.
  5. Seattlite86

That's my only one :)

Mark1971 and rascal like this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

This is not the culprit. Go back and reread the other thread from Page 1. The hypocrite changed the subject to this coin because he didn't want to admit that he was wrong about the coin with scratches, and his big sister did nothing but make up BS to cover for him. Am I telling the truth? Yessirree, but neither of them want to admit it! ~ Chris

hotwheelsearl and Dynoking like this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You have it correct Chris. The second coin had nothing to do with the first coin.
    It was done to complicate the thread and change the subject.
    The OP of the other thread was trying to walk away after insulting everyone that had a different opinion. It's good to know what to expect from future post from the OP of that thread.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  9. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

His descriptor 'Let's argue' is spot on - i think his agenda here is to stir the soup. :rolleyes:
    Anyway, his straight line scratch can be easily duplicated using a steel scriber and straightedge - now you too can have your own 'mint error' ;)
    unnamed (3).jpg

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The thread was closed because of major rule violation. It had nothing to do with content. Jim

rascal likes this.
  11. Pickin and Grinin

I know he did. I watched the thread till the end. Except I did not read the final exchanges before he got a temporary boot. I was only pickin, I wasn't blaming you.
    The first coin I agree was damaged.
    You were right on the money IMO.

12. Pickin and Grinin

What does the rim look like. Can you get a decent photo of it?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. Pickin and Grinin

14. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Well, it looks like @Justlystn is no longer a member here... running multiple accounts? we'll never know.

15. Seattlite86

Soon as I find wherever I put it... that photo is from like 2014. :bag:

16. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Now why would Justlystn no longer be a member here unless the ones that was harassing him caused him to drop out ? And for everyone's information I only have one account and don't know who Justlystn is. He said on here he was quitting because of the way he was being treated , I always tried to help him or her. If anyone should be booted out I think it should be the mean one that kept calling him a hypocrite .

17. Pickin and Grinin

@cpm9ball
    Is this the big sister you were talking about?

18. Pickin and Grinin

If this is your response, might be time to take a good long look in the mirror.

19. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

P&G, I don't have the slightest idea what you mean! ~ Chris ROFLMAO 1.gif

20. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I repeat what I said in post #9 particularly, so we would not have to drag this out, but here it is with highlight

Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted