1959 D Penny.. Doubling or Wear?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by agrace97, Oct 15, 2019.

1. agrace97

agrace97 Member

Hi! I found this 1959 D Lincoln Penny and the lettering seemed interesting. The “G” in “God” seems to be very thick especially on the ends. The “W” and “E” also seem to have very thick ends. The “berty” in “Liberty” seems a lot larger/thicker than the “Li.” The end of the “E” “T” and “Y” in “Liberty” seems to might have doubling. One side of the “D” mintmark seems to have doubling as well. I’m a newbie to coin research and was wondering if anyone had any opinions/knowledge on this coin! Am I just looking to hard? 11C9CABB-E8BA-4140-8AC6-86246FD5B300.jpeg 7164801E-2761-4D30-9021-FA25C8773C57.png BBCBB917-70FC-4280-8A33-9D93265560CE.png 0778CE92-EC10-42D7-8DD7-E8675806C11A.png ED1D4BC0-7AF9-45C4-B13B-F90457EAEA01.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Yes, & some of these pics look like the same ones you posted for the 1967 cent.

The coins you are posting, for the most part suffer from 2 problem areas:

(1) They are well circulated, hence, they are damaged by circulation.
    (2) These coins were produced in the hundreds of millions (in the case of the 1959 D, 1st yr of the LMC, they made 1,279,760,000; as in 1 Billion), resulting in many overused dies, thereby resulting in "machine doubling" & "die deterioration doubling".

So you're posting many coins & we certainly encourage that, & you've received some excellent advice & resources on other threads. As you learn about the minting process & coins in general, less of your time will be consumed by these common specimens & you will have much more enjoyment in your collecting endeavors.

If you don't already have a Red Book, I would strongly suggest you acquire one (doesn't have to be new, 2 or 3 yrs old is OK); it's the #1 resource for US coin collectors.

Have fun with this! ;)

352sdeer likes this.
  4. agrace97

agrace97 Member

Hi! I feel like I’m looking too hard as well. The pictures are similar format as the 1967 coin, but these are pictures for the 1959 coin. Thank you for the information regarding the circulation and doubling! How do I determine the difference between true doubling and “machine doubling / die deterioration doubling”? I’m enjoying learning about coins and I apologize if my many forums are bothersome or not exciting. Definitely need to get a Red Book! I guess until I research more and get a book, I won’t be making new forums. Thank you again!

PlanoSteve likes this.
  5. agrace97

agrace97 Member

Correction! The second photo is of the 1967 coin! Thank you for letting me know!

PlanoSteve likes this.
  6. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

Don’t worry about that. That’s why everyone is here to learn. It is and exciting hobby to get in to!! If your crhing. (Coin roll hunting). You will be going though ALOT of coins!! But that’s how some of the best coin that are doubled is found. Like the 1969s ddo found by a guy searching rolls. 90% of what you going to come across is going to be face value but it can get really exciting when you do find a really good md ( Machine Doubling) or a blank planchet, a cool lam error or silver coins they are out there. But most is just pmd (post mint damage).

Starting out. I was all over the place with cents, nickels, dimes. Ddo this and ddr that.... starting stick with one coin for awhile until you learn about that coin and key dates and other errors how it was minted and how errors come about.

I been collecting for awhile and I still feel dumb a lot of time when I post something that I should have known about... a lot of you question can be found here by doing a quick search on the forum. If you can’t find it, post it someone will get you on track!! That’s why I love coin talk!

agrace97 likes this.
  7. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Create a list of which coins you want to search for errors/varieties.

you'll find 99.9% of the stuff you think is an error is just damage and/or circulation wear.

That is where it is important to create a list of KNOWN errors/varieties to search for. Then you won't be spending your time looking at junk trying to convince yourself that it is an error/variety.

There's many websites
    for instance
    http://varietyvista.com/
    http://doubleddie.com
    http://www.lincolncentresource.com

agrace97 likes this.
  8. agrace97

agrace97 Member

Thank you for the links!

9. agrace97

agrace97 Member

I’d love to get into coin roll hunting, but right now I’m just hunting in my giant jar of change. I will continue doing research, learning, and practicing analyzing coins! I just wish that I could just post a forum titled “Help me look at my coins and answer my silly questions.” Analyzing coins is a lot harder than I thought!

10. PlanoSteve

Well, that's not the point. You seem to be genuinely interested in coins & not just for "investment" purposes (since you post the in "Coin Chat" & not "What's It Worth"). Don't stop posting.

I merely mean you will get much more enjoyment from this hobby as you gain knowledge. The Red Book will be a great start, & @Clawcoins added some great advice & resources.

Keep learning, keep posting & all will be well! ;):singing::happy:

Mike185 and agrace97 like this.
  11. agrace97

agrace97 Member

Thank you! It began when I found a Bicentennial Quarter and at that point it was for “investment purposes.” As I started doing more research and digging through all of my change, I realized how fascinated I became with coins. Definitely need to invest in the Red Book and stop googling “1959 D Penny” without knowing what I’m actually looking for. Looking forward to growing my knowledge!

PlanoSteve likes this.
  12. PlanoSteve

As Clawcoins alluded to, it can seem like a daunting task to scrutinize every coin you come across. If you start your focus on specific areas, you should be able to handle all the additional knowledge you will gain, without being overwhelmed. You can always expand your collection/horizons as you feel necessary. Many of us started out in one area & later decided something different was preferable. You choose, it's your hobby. However, be aware that should you go to the "dark side" (Read: ancients) you run the risk of being hopelessly involved. ;):p:joyful::hilarious:

agrace97 likes this.
  13. agrace97

agrace97 Member

May be a silly question, but does Variety Vista Website show unique coins or coins that are common?

Draft saved Draft deleted