1959 D Lincoln with straight leg 9

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Thorpeuser, Apr 17, 2015.

?

Can anyone tell me if this is a common stamp for the final 9 or an irregular mint mark?

1. It is common

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It is not common

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Thorpeuser

Thorpeuser Long time collector

I have a 1959 D Lincoln with a strange straight leg on the final 9. See the attached photo of one with a regular 9 and one that looks more like the straight leg on a 7.
    Is this rare? And if so is it worth anything?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

The nine took a hit and might also have a die chip.

tommyc03 and Paul M. like this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I see why you're saying that, and it certainly does look like it. But, that doesn't explain why the tail of the 9 looks so much different between the 2 coins.

5. rickmp

The hit moved the metal slightly.

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

This is a common occurrence, and it happens when the finger of a rolling machine clips a digit of the date or another device(often the "I" in "LIBERTY"). Bottom line is that it's simply damage.

7. Thorpeuser

Is it worth anything? And does anyone else have one?

8. jallengomez

No, it's damage. I don't have one because I don't keep them, but I've come across lots of them. This is one of the most frequent questions that comes up in error forums because people find them all the time and think they have an error.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. Newbie2015

Newbie2015 Member

I am sorry but I am a newbie. Why is that not considered an error

10. rickmp

Because it didn't come out of the dies in that condition.

charlietig likes this.
  11. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Otherwise known as PMD: Post Mint Damage.

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. jallengomez

Exactly as the others have said. Errors are caused from errors during the minting process. This was simply damage from after it left the mint by a bank coin-rolling machine. It is no different than if you damaged a coin with a hammer.

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. Thorpeuser

image.jpg Anyone else found one of these like the one I have? I really don't believe it is damage. See attached closeup. It has no scratch or clip. The upper curel of the 9 is totally different from the curel of the first 9. The bottom leg is totally straight. Jallen said he believes this is damage and seen lots of them, but has anyone else found one of these? Maybe someone can send me one they have. I am looking for confirmation that it didn't come out of the die that way.

14. Thorpeuser

What is a rolling machine? And how does it damage a coin? Is there any ligature you can recommend to read up on this?

15. rickmp

Curel? Ligature?

16. rickmp

A bump of some kind flattened the last 9.
    It didn't come out of the dies like that, it's damage.

17. rickmp

A coin rolling machine counts and then rolls coins in a wrapper. Spinning wheels push the coins through the machine as well as crimping the ends of the rolls. The crimper will sometimes run a ring around the face of the coin, causing the damage seen on your coin.

18. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I have also seen these. The others are correct in their statements. It is not an error. Post Mint Damage. It has no value. I am a long time collector of error and variety coins and most of these guys that have answered you are very knowledgeable as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted