1959-D Franklin Half Dollar--What would PCGS grade me?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Mar 31, 2020.

?

What would PCGS grade me?

1. AU58

2. MS60-62

3. MS63

4. MS64

5. MS65

6. MS66

7. MS67

8. Not FBL

9. FBL

10. Other (Please Explain in Comments)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

What grade do you think PCGS would grade this 1959-D Franklin Half Dollar? I have attached a poll, please vote twice, once for the numerical grade, and once for the bell lines.

[​IMG]

As always, comments welcome.

Skyman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

65FBL. Nice luster, attractive. Minor ticks on the face and coat, but the fields are quite clean. The slightly heavier reed marks on the bell will keep if from a higher grade, but there doesn't seem to be enough general scuffiness for a 64.

Rheingold and Lehigh96 like this.
  4. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Overall, I like this coin. In particular, I like the golden toning and the obverse is without major hits or nicks. Looks like some form of doubling on the E in LIBERTY, though I am not sure if it’s machine doubling or what. I voted AU58 as I see some wear on Ben’s hair and the reverse had a fair amount of nicks, scratches, and dings. I also voted Not FBL as the very bottom line seems to have gaps in it.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I think the nicks will hold it back to a 64. Not FBL.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  6. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

7. LRC-Tom

LRC-Tom Been around the block...

I think it has enough bell lines to slip by. Barely. 65FBL.

8. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

I see it as maxing out at 65 FBL (FBL due to PCGS being more lenient on the designation) and 65 since it is fairly clean but there are dings and hits scattered throughout (especially on the reverse).

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

11. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

66 FBL

sambyrd44 likes this.
  12. sambyrd44

sambyrd44 Well-Known Member

very clean. Normally I would say MS66 FBL. I think PCGS will say MS65 + FBL
    I think the mark on the neck will keep the coin back. It is a very nice coin.

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

They might have given it 64, though I think it ought to be 65. My old eyeballs, at least tonight, can’t make a determination of whether its an FBL.

14. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I don't see enough luster for 66, so I went with 65. And PCGS would call that FBL.

furham and Rheingold like this.
  15. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I'm going to be a bit contrarian and vote 64 FBL. I downloaded the image and blew it up and think the coin just has too many small micks and dings to give it a 65. I gave it FBL but reluctantly as I think it just barely crosses the line into FBL territory.

But I don't know Franklins at all nor the grading market on them. So, as with all these exercises, I wait to be schooled.

16. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

The problem with blowing the image up to big is that it makes what are in reality, very small marks look much more prominent than they are. That is why I post my photos for gtg threads in the 500x500 pixel for each side of the coin. To see what I mean, go back to one of my previous gtg threads and look for some imperfections on the obverse of the coin. Then scroll down to the reveal where I usually post a slab photo and see if you can still see those same imperfections.

That said, 64FBL is a perfectly reasonable grade for this coin. I was on the fence as to whether I should submit and was hoping this thread would push me one way or the other.

17. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

@Lehigh96, I absolutely agree with your point about blowing them up. I have sometimes cringed about some of my favorite coins when I've looked at them too closely. So, when I blow them up I am careful to discount my initial reaction to what appear to be moon craters. That's why our significant others close their eyes when they kiss us - either that or they're imagining someone else.

18. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Originally I was thinking 65fbl. Then I noticed the ding/scuff near Y in LIBERTY, which should drop it to 64fbl.

The toning, particularly the reverse, is quite nice for a '59-D. That's a perfect coin for an album.

19. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Enough marks to keep it at 64 just misses fbl

20. Serena Barabas

Serena Barabas New Member

I agree with the appearance of doubling, the B E &R obverse.
    I know little of grading so I will spare you any pretence.
    Good luck to you

21. brokrken

brokrken Active Member

I'm thinking 63 FBL due to the tiny nicks and scuffs already mentioned. And, while I think FBL is borderline, this sort of example always gets it from PCGS.

Draft saved Draft deleted