1959 Alaska & Hawaii Medals

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ikandiggit, Feb 13, 2011.

1. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

From today's coin show... One of the dealers had these two Commemorative medals that he just wanted to unload. I bought both. They are about 2 1/2" dia..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

Never heard of them- really interesting.

Many types of those coins on the market, not likely from the Mint

4. ikandiggit

That's right, they are medals not coins. They were made by the Medallic Art Company of New York City.

5. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

My Father has the Hawaii medal, he gave it to me when I was 8. I have it in a wooden case. Nothing really valuable money wise but family wise, its valuable.

6. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

I really like your Alaska medal. Partial to Alaska, I hope to go there again this summer for my sixth trip. THIS trip, when I visit that Alaska Mint, I'll be looking at their coins instead of their gold in quartz! Both medals very cool!
    Lucy

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Nice medals, diggit!

As a rule, "MACO" (Medallic Art Company) is stamped into the edge, and there was a time when they stamped "MACONY" (Medallic Art Company of New York) into the edge of the medals. Does anyone know when they made the changeover?

Chris

8. ikandiggit

Both of these are stamped "MEDALLIC ART CO.N.Y. BRONZE" on the edge.

9. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Very cool medals by Medallic Art Company. They made them right about the time Alaska & Hawaii were admitted as states. They were issued in bronze, silver and in gold!!! Here's one of the gold Hawaii examples on Heritage...

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=430&Lot_No=756

I also saw one of the gold ones at a Goldberg auction a couple of years ago. Very neat!!!

Also, the Hawaii medal was initially issued with an error spelling the westernmost island "NII HAU." It appears you have the corrected version spelling it "NIIHAU."

Draft saved Draft deleted