1958 Wheat Penny Is that the mint mark coming out the front of his shirt?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kelly Green, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Kelly Green

Kelly Green New Member

image.jpeg im just wondering if that is the mint mark coming out the front of his shirt. image.jpeg

dwhiz and Stevearino like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Kelly Green

I'm not sure. Can you try to move it (gently!) with a toothpick? If it doesn't move, it might be a "Dropped Element", but I'd need a better close-up.

Chris

4. Kelly Green

Kelly Green New Member

No it didn't move with a toothpick. Here is another picture a little closer. I'm sorry the quality is bad it is from my phone image.jpeg

5. Kelly Green

Kelly Green New Member

image.jpeg Maybe this is better

6. Jeff Beatty

Jeff Beatty Member

My opinion is no. I think this is a 1958 (P) penny stamped into a cracked die or the planchet had this shape on it before it was struck. I think if mint mark strike would have disrupted the edge of the bust. In the case of your coin, it seems obvious the primary stamp of the bust cut straight through the anomaly on your coin....as the edge of the bust is clearly defined. Maybe the planchet was corrupt before it was struck?

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Are you sure it isn't glue? The semicircle looks too perfect to be a die break.

Chris

Kelly Green likes this.
  8. Kelly Green

Kelly Green New Member

No sir it is part of the coin. I'm sorry I wish I had a better picture I will attempt getting a better one tomorrow with a real camera.

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

It is definitely not a die break/crack. I also find it hard to believe it is anything post production. However, I have not a clue what happened to the die to cause that.

dwhiz and Kelly Green like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted