1958 wheat penny error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Salvador Rocha, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Salvador Rocha

Salvador Rocha Active Member

190325_225338.jpg 20190325_225629.jpg 20190325_225506.jpg
    Found this 1958 wheat penny in a roll today. Wondering if this an error. What you guys think? Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Looks like your coin was dipped in acid, which explains the discoloration along the “crack”. Sorry, not an error

4. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Looks like little tiny die chip on the left wheat stalk across from the middle of the back of the C.

Salvador Rocha likes this.
  5. Salvador Rocha

Thank you.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

Agree that it was treated with something, though not sure the whole coin was dipped as the Obv doesn't seem to have the same discolorations as the Rev. It almost seems that a specific area was treated, which brings me to the issue of the fact that if a coin was treated does not exclude it from being a "error" (a Bad No, No for sure) if a true error, such as a die crack, exists.

What I'm trying to say is that it appears that the area being treated may very well be a die crack or split of some type that they were trying to uncover. It's always hard to tell from a two dimensional photo as to what the topography of the area in question is; it does appear to be that there may have been some displacement in the area between the two "N"s of "ONE" and "CENT". Maybe the OP can give us a verbal description of what he is seeing in the affected area. BTW, nice pick on the die chip LaCointessa. Semper Fidelis

7. Seattlite86

I appreciate the thoughts. It would be more appropriate to say the coin had some chemical leaked/poured/spilled onto it, that ate away some of the metal (vs saying dipped, I misspoke there). Even so, I don't find it at all plausible that anyone tried to "uncover" an error by pouring acid onto a coin. The split/crack you are seeing is all along the border of the discoloration, meaning that it probably concentrated around the ONE and thus the "border" from where the acid stopped. Outside of the small die chip, this is really just a damaged coin with no added value.

Salvador Rocha and LaCointessa like this.
  8. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

or maybe someone with a gold felt marker (or something) was bored and colored along the die crack? (whatever type of crack it is). My point is that it might not be acid.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  9. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

wow seriously?? looks like a lamination crack to me an nothing more....

10. Salvador Rocha

Thank you. I really appreciate the input and thanks for the compliment regarding my pic. I try to do my best. The first thing that caught my eye was indeed the discolaration. After examining the coin more closely, I seen what to me looked like a die crack. The seperation is more visible between the "n" in unum, as it runs down to the "n" and "e" of one. The seperation fades and harder to see as it runs up the "o" in one and to the other edge by the wheat stalk. To bad somebody used acid on it to reveal it.

11. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

Hope I didn't come across as saying you were "wrong", and certainly apologize if I did. You certainly may be right, and I agree with you that there is no added value. I'm just curious by nature and have a tendency to want to look at all possibilities before I settle on one. Besides, I really like die cracks, splits, etc. :happy:

12. Seattlite86

Not the way I perceived it; I just didn’t want you giving the OP false hope. I’m a huge fan of error coins myself :)

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That was my first thought. I looked agdin SMS AU think it's a retained lamination crack that is only partially formed. The discoloration being along the crack. There is a small die chipmon the left top wheat stalk but I think someone said that. Welcome to CT.

14. Seattlite86

The photo below is reason one for why I believe it was acid or something chemical. Reason two is the discoloration. The color is an unmistakable sign of acid/chemicals being used.
    132A9834-2077-4195-8E79-0BD49F2730B8.jpeg

Here's an example of a coin of mine that's been treated with acid. Notice the gold coloring.
    acid.JPG

LaCointessa likes this.
  15. Seattlite86

Notice the edges of the acid treatment on my coin above and how they're sloping instead of more straight. Now compare to a few laminated coins I have. Even my 1857 FEC has sharper edges than that "lamination" on the 1958 Cent. There's just no way those edges got that much wear to make them look like that. My conclusion: not lamination. @paddyman98 @cpm9ball

FE error 2.JPG Silver Nickel2 crop.JPG 1918 Lincoln 2.JPG

16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Based on the images by @Salvador Rocha , it could be a die crack if it is raised, but I can't tell from those images.

Chris

17. Seattlite86

Die cracks run along the letters too and would be visible and raised. There’s clearly a depression in the photo I circled with a green marker. I feel like I’m in crazy town, or am I the only one here who is crazy? I don’t get how anyone sees a die crack in this...

18. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Actually, I've just about given up on looking at pennies. I'm sick of seeing them. Doesn't anyone have a nice half dollar that wasn't found in circulation?
    2001-D 50c REV Slab.jpg
    _MG_2227[1].JPG
    IMG_1671[1].JPG
    IMG_1672[1].JPG

Chris:(

Seattlite86 and Salvador Rocha like this.
  19. Salvador Rocha

Ill post some more pics like in an hour. See if somebody can figure out what it has. Thanks a lot for the interest. I really appreciate it.

LaCointessa likes this.
  20. Salvador Rocha

21. Seattlite86

Draft saved Draft deleted