1958 wheat cent underweight

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by NumisRookie, Jan 12, 2016.

1. NumisRookie

NumisRookie Active Member

Found this today. Is it just a thin planchet? Is that how it happens usually?

20160112_141426.jpg 20160112_141359.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Best Answer
    Less than half a gram light.
    IMO, it's within allowable tolerances.

4. NumisRookie

Ridiculous. 0.5 grams off is a significant weight difference.

2016-01-12 14.46.50.jpg

5. NumisRookie

I'm sorry but I'm actually a little offended by that. Have you gone through boxes of pennies before?

I've gone through 10's of thousands pennies and never found a pre 82 cent that was that light.

I've gone through thousands of wheat cents and never found one that light.

To express an opinion that it's nothing special is a little harsh.

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings by stating my opinion.
    I'll place you in my ignore bucket so as to never risk offending you again.

tomfiggy and Jdiablo30 like this.
  7. NumisRookie

I'll take that as a no.

8. Garrett Haag

Garrett Haag Active Member

I've found few dimes and cents like that, its from when a blank is from the end of the sheet it can be thinner from time to time, I've never seen them have any value.

NumisRookie likes this.
  9. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Interesting. If it were a coin with any significant value, I'd think it was a fake. But who fakes a 1958 cent?

NumisRookie and cpm9ball like this.
  10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't know why you are getting so bent out of shape. You asked a question, and @rickmp expressed his opinion (without ranting and raving, I might add!). Just because you have examined "tens of thousands" doesn't mean a lot since there were "tens of billions" of them produced. For all you know, your scale might be slightly off. He didn't say that it was "nothing special". If you were offended, then you should start wearing a suit of Kevlar to protect your thin skin.

Chris

GH#75, paddyman98, Insider and 4 others like this.
  11. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

That's way out of tolerance. Considering it still has a lot of meat on it, plus the strike is weak, that planchet is way thin.

12. Clutchy

But I have to ask, you sure your scale is accurate? And why would you be weighing it? You weigh them all? Personally, I only weigh years with transitions like the 1983. The plating issues were so horrendous, that when I see one that has no plating issues what-so-ever, I assume it 95%copper, and pop that sucker on the scale.

No luck so far lol

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Garrett's comment makes sense. Besides, how many planchets does the Mint weigh for quality control? Does anyone know if they even do?

Chris

paddyman98, TJ1952 and Clutchy like this.
  14. NumisRookie

First of all he could have at least answered the question! It's a stupid opinion. He shouldn't have given it. I posted the question with an obvious desire to learn. Instead he tried to tell me it's worthless. I don't know why....I didn't ask him to buy it, or anyone for that matter. It pissed me off because I have searched boxes and boxes and boxes of coins and I was a little excited. I don't care if his name has SUPPORTER under it or not. It was a crappy post to make and I'll be sure not to buy what ever he's pushing.

And second of all, I do know that my scale is within a fairly accurate range seeing as how I weighed 5 other wheat pennies to make sure my scale wasn't off. They were all right around 3.13 g.

Maybe he's the one with thin skin since you feel the need to protect him. I've disliked you since the beginning. You're an idiot.

15. NumisRookie

I'm sure my scale showed a reasonable weight. I measured 5 other wheats before I posted just to make sure.

I weighed it because I was about to put it in a roll along with 4 or 5 other wheat pennies and as I stacked them up to drop them in I noticed it was thinner.

16. tomd

tomd Member

In my opinion for what ever it is worth.

As is any manufacturing place there are controls to prevent out of spec items from getting to the public.
    And with the US Mint one would think this will be even tighter controls in place.

But guess what, items still get through as the penny above.

As for the penny the value is what ever you can get for it.
    I think there SHOULD not be many out there with this defect.
    I do use the term defect lightly.
    I would love to have found such a find, as I have gone through many of rolls of pennies in my life time.
    Now I as with most of my pennies I do not weigh them, except the one where there are two weights for a date. I then that them to work and during lunch I check the weight.

Tom

NumisRookie likes this.
  17. NumisRookie

18. Clutchy

I believe they weigh them in batches and then divide weight by count.

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Given the fact that that coin has circulated for 58 years it will be light. The wear clearly shows. Nothing special even if the weight is off. That's my opinion.

20. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Looks like a rolled thin planchet

jay4202472000 and Paul M. like this.
  21. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Running commentary...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted