1958 red

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Roadkill, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Roadkill

Roadkill New Member

Very new to coins started looking about a month ago I've gone threw 5 boxes pennies, 1 nickles and 2 quarters, I have some I've had for years and years, recently found many very nice coins roll hunting
    Learning is a process and could use your thought on grade and value starting with these three 1958 pennies
    Hopefully pictures are good enough thank you...

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

Nice circulation finds! However, they aren't worth much (possibly $0.25 each) because they are from a common mintage, and many 1958 cents can be found in nice condition. Even graded MS examples of 1958 wheat pennies don't sell for a high price on ebay.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

If you don't already have a copy, this should be required for your library.
    untitled.png
    Chris

5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

In order to be worth very much and with the cost of certification, these coins have to look like they were "caught by angles and preserved in heaven." In other words they have to be virtually perfect. Each of the pieces you found have some minor issue. Finding these coins in the very high grades is extremely difficult.

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The cent could be MS and worth .25-.30 cents. The problem is there's no market for it. Dealers are not buying these coins for .15 cents and doubling their money on them.
    At least it's a Philly 250 million minted. They made 800 million in Denver.
    Certainly a coin I would put in a 2x2 and keep, because it is a nice example of a 1958. But there's a paradox when it comes to actual value. You are stuck just keeping it in your collection and admiring it for 30 years. That's the value you get.

7. Roadkill

Roadkill New Member

Evidently the pictures are not good enough for under 30x magnification there are a couple little very very light scratches and I mean very light cannot seem to keep the glare off of coin when I use my camera therefore I use my phone which I'm sure is all scratched up on the lens
    I looked online at some of the ms66 and these look like they're in much better shape, if that is not the case

8. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Don’t forget the Red Book. Under $13.00 tax included. Welcome to CT.
    Reed
    03C0B254-6287-46D9-B605-1F6D119659B5.png

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

30x is overkill, but trained graders learn to tilt a coin back and forth in the light to spot distracting marks.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted