1958 Penny Copper Ring

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by wallen, Aug 31, 2010.

1. wallen

wallen New Member

I have recently found a 1958 Penny with what appears to be a copper ring around its edge and was wondering if anyone had any information as to how it got there? IMG_3573.jpg IMG_3584.JPG IMG_3572.jpg IMG_3571.jpg IMG_3578.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

It was spooned. Just type that in the search box and you can read all you want about it.

4. snaz

snaz Registry fever

Just to play devils advocate, I think it might be a laundry machine coin.

5. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Or it could have been strategically placed in one of those tumblers that polishes gemstones!

6. stealer

stealer Roller of Coins

What difference does it make? Either way it's PMD :)

7. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Too much metal for spooning & you can see the seam to the "bezel" at the bottom of pic 4. :)

8. theknibbs

theknibbs New Member

Spooned??? not so....

I've been looking for info on this for years now, this coin is not "Spooned". I have a 1959 silver penny with this same thing. And also a nickel from 1960. Its a whole seperate pice of metal wrapped around the edge of the coin. on my silver penny you can almost spin it. So no, its not from whacking it with a spoon.

But if anyone has any other info it would be greatly appreciated. photo.JPG photonick.jpg

9. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

What you have is a bezel around your plated cent. More than likely an old charm or jewelry piece.

10. Roundman

Roundman New Member

The picture below is of some coins I found in my dyrer. They were in a cubby hole in one of the pabbles on the drum. They have been in there for several month. All of them have a copper ring around them. so it must be how they are made. The interesting thing is all the coins have shrunk. The quarters are now the size of a nickle. My guess would be the process of heat and tubmling produced your coin.

Coins.jpg

Delaw likes this.
  11. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

You got it first! As said by others, the rim is too rounded to be spooned, plus the bottom of the bezel shows on the reverse.

Here's how to spoon a coin:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Ring-from-a-Silver-Coin

12. DazzaSTAR

DazzaSTAR New Member

I found a copper edge dime that looks much smaller than a regular dime. The copper edge is raised on both sides and very smooth. I don't think it was spooned, especially since it seems to be smaller than a regular dime. Very odd?

Draft saved Draft deleted