1958 Franklin Half Dollar PCGS MS67+ FB CAC sells for $110k at auction

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Omegaraptor, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

It is your personal choice as to who you elevate to the professional level.
    And it sure as all get out isn't who everyone else put's into those same quotations.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I don't think PCGS made a mistake with that coin, but I do think the buyer did.

4. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

I'm curious, how it is that you could have been telling me anything "for years now"? You've only been on this forum since Jan 2016 -- 2.5 years? You are a prolific poster; however, that certainly doesn't make you an expert.

I also have no earthly idea what "grudge" I am supposedly holding against you, and I don't recall you having "corrected" me "year's [sic] ago".

Interesting reply - apparently this "grudge" is a hang-up for you, not me. I hope to see you post some of your coins and/or contribute your numismatic knowledge here (not just your PCGS proselytizing).

Kind regards.

5. ToughCOINS

Funny . . . I thought they'd be looking for you in a much smaller house than that.

baseball21 likes this.
  6. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

My fear with any top population coin is that more will be found OR the grading standards will generate more slabs. For a short while this coin was MS66 - so anyone buying an MS67 before that time now has an additional example on the market.

That seems to be some high stakes gambling.

chascat likes this.
  7. ToughCOINS

Yeah, the top pop game has never really been for me. I've had a few, but never seriously stretched ridiculously for them.

Gregg likes this.
  8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It wasn't a pop 1 coin, it was a pop 2 coin at the time of the sale. While the other 67+ is a lovely coin, it's no where close color wise. This wasn't a 1/0 coin selling huge because it was a 1/0 coin.

What we've seen for a while now is that there are some very rich collectors that pay what they have to for the best and what they really want. You almost never see someone go that aggressive hoping for a flip, they're almost always for the love of the coin and that thing could be off the market now for a decade or more easily.

Obviously everything has a price where it can be for sale if enough money is offered but it's usually the great coins that sell weak that are bought for financial purposes

9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

My mother’s house was $110k, and it is quite nice. She’s been living there since 2003. I take it you are not really familiar with the real estate market.

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

What @Kasia is saying is that anyone who spends $110k on Franklin is likely a rich person (millionaire) who would likely spend more than just $110k on their house.

11. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Ah. I missed the phrase “the buyer”.

ddddd likes this.
  12. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

That is Strike #1.
    If you get three strikes they make you a moderator.

ddddd and brg5658 like this.
  13. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I believe that coin went for $129,000 with buyer's fees. There were other bidders eager to own it, but after the morning hangover was over, I doubt it's new owner was still as pumped as in the bidding.

14. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Thanks for the morning chuckle. I'm glad I wasn't reading while drinking my coffee (for the sake of my keyboard).

:cool::D

Cheers!

Gregg likes this.
  15. carpman98

carpman98 Active Member

NO WAY is that a 67. I counted more than 7 bag marks on the obverse alone within 10 seconds with the naked eye. Did they use the FACR grading method on that piece? (FACR = From Across The Room).

16. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

Did you watch the video?
    The coin looked much better in the video.

PCGS grading standards allow for multiple marks to be 'made up for' if the luster is extraordinary.

I'm not sure what I think about that, exactly; however, it is in a PCGS slab.

17. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Wrong... unless your mom was the buyer.

18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Thats alot for any franklin

19. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

That's a lot for THAT Franklin...Some dates in highest grades tip the scale for absolute rarity and condition rarity combined, but that 58 has only it's crazy toning going for it. I agree with others in that without it's color, it couldn't grade a 67+...more like a 66+ would be in order considering the nicks on the portrait. Even if it is graded properly, it should be in the $6,000-12,000 range at best, and much less if it's true grade were in the 66+ range.

20. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

To all the guys in this thread who are claiming this coin is overgraded, you just don't understand market grading. I don't care if this coin has MS66 surfaces, based on all the reports about the coin and the photos shown, this coin has the BEST eye appeal & BEST luster. In short it is the BEST Franklin Half Dollar in existence. When you get to the top of the scale, coins like this are ranked rather than graded (I miss Leadfoot). In fact, now that I know another MS67+ exists, this coin is undergraded and should have been graded MS68.

If anyone thinks they have a better Franklin Half Dollar, post it and lets compare. I used to have a 1958-D NGC MS67* CAC that I paid $2500. It doesn't even come close to the coin in this thread.

[​IMG]

21. ddddd

ddddd Member

Draft saved Draft deleted