1958 Franklin Half Dollar PCGS MS67+ FB CAC sells for $110k at auction

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Omegaraptor, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

Required Disclaimer: I'm new to grading, and only work with Peace Dollars.
    That aside, the obverse would do well to get a 65 in my honest opinion.

Am I way off base on that?
    I don't know much about Franklins other than they're ugly.

john65999 likes this.
  4. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

That is just INSANE!! I can only imagine the coins I could add to my collection with $100,000.00. I feel like I do well with my $100 - $200 budget, if I were to really open up and throw around just $1000.00 man..... The coin above would never be a consideration to me above $500.00. To me it's over graded and was pushed up to the 67+ level by it's eye appeal rather than it's technical merits. If you do a little looking on CoinFacts, you will see that it had been previously graded at a lower point. The first grade I could swallow, this one, not so much.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Franklin's are a great looking coin. I would have graded this a 65, maybe a 66. I'm not sure I would have given this a FBL due to a small dent crossing 2 of the lines. I think it was graded as it was based on the toning. Some of the small dings in the coin are hidden by the toning, especially on the obverse.

6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

No sir.... No way in creation I would remotely consider a chunk of change like that for any Franklin half and I love the series. That particular Franklin must be doing laundry and washing windows or something to command such a ridiculous amount.

7. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

The graders over compensated for the toning

john65999 and Hookman like this.
  8. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Ok a couple things. One, that coin probably is magnificent in hand as I'm sure the pictures are more about color than luster. Second, that coin was struck hard. The reverse details look pretty amazing. Third, those marks were probably there before the strike and you had to zoom in to see them. Most likely not visable easily with the naked eye.

Now this is coming from someone who very much dislikes the Franklin half in general. Just plain ugly, so I would never pay that for a Franklin. But I'm sure the grade was justified. And for that price, more than one person was drooling over it.

baseball21 likes this.
  9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

That toning is super cool. I do not think it's worth that much at all. It was obviously a bidding war. The only Franklins I would buy are the super deep cameo ones worth in the $400-500 range slabbed PCGS or NGC.

john65999 and jtlee321 like this.
  10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

11. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I like the reverse waaaaaaay more than the obverse of this coin. It has color, that isnt normally seen on Franklin halves but its nowhere close to 100k imo.
    With THAT kind of serious dough, you could put together a whole series or 3. You could buy one hundred $1000 coins. You could buy a Lamborghini, you could buy a house.:woot:
    You could retire & live like a king in Thailand

12. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

Lets not forget everyone, this coin was previously a MS66+. It was then upgraded by PCGS to MS67+ and then got the cac sticker. There are other pictures which show it has far too many hits to even be a 67+. Ridiculous.

john65999, YoloBagels and Omegaraptor like this.
  13. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

This is market grading at it's finest.

The strike is strong, but not complete. See the little hashmarks on his cheekbone and jawline? That is called high point roughness. In my opinion, no coin above a 65 should have that (although I see them graded at 66 or 67 with this all the time, especially Jeffersons).

The luster here is off the charts, and significantly helped the coin.

The eye appeal is also ridiculous.

But the contact marks! There are so many marks on the obverse of that coin that I would debate even calling it 65.

So basically, the strong luster and the ridiculous eye appeal added about 2 full points to the grade.

That is absolutely insane. The coin is not FBL, either, as there is weakness on the top set of lines and contact marks which cross both sets of lines.

14. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Maybe this coin is the reason why somebody had to leave PCGS... I’d have graded it UNC details - AT ;-)

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Worth $10 to me.
    First I thought it said $110.
    When I saw $110K someone is a little high.
    The grade is high. I am not convinced the toning is NT.
    This coin will never recoup what was paid for it.

john65999, TypeCoin971793 and Paul M. like this.
  16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And then the bidders bought the label.

17. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Ive been trying to sell a 1956 cameo 67 by NGC for ever. I think i have it pretty cheap but no bites at all. Dont think Im going to be selling Franklins in the future.

18. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

The coin was healed!

Hookman likes this.
  19. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

what is your price on it ? PM me. it depends on how frosty the look is ??? totally white with mirrored surfaces ?

20. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

For everyone questioning the toning, it is absolutely NT. Sensational toning is extremely common on 1958 Coins. Nobody really knows why, but the mint sets that year had some extra oomph.

This was a mint set toned coin that turned out just a bit better than the others.

ddddd and Collecting Nut like this.
  21. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Here here. I've seen the same type toning on many a Franklin's, especially the last several years of production all in mint sets.

Draft saved Draft deleted