1958 Double Die Obverse Penny - D mint mark

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by mister martin, Feb 23, 2009.

1. mister martin

mister martin Junior Member

I am by no means an expert, but I was looking through some pennies today. And came across a 1958 Double Die Obverse with a Denver mint mark. I didn't see it in the book I have. But I see the 1958 Double Die Obverse as being very rare. So I figured this might be a good place to start. I don't have a picture of it just yet, but I plan to post one.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. EagleEye

EagleEye Member

If there is doubling on the date and mintmark it is certainly strike-doubling which happens when the coin is struck.

The 1958 DD listed in the Red Book is known by only 2 examples. They would likely sell for over $100,000 is offered today. It is almost as wide a separation as found on the 1955 DD.

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Here is a starting place on any Lincoln variety
    http://www.coppercoins.com/advsearch.php

fill in the year, the mint, and all that you are looking for such as Doubled die and you should find 4 DD obverses for 1958-D.

Welcome to the Forum!

Jim

Amos 811 likes this.
  5. andy21us

andy21us Coin Hoarder

Welcome to the Forum Martin. Until you can post a pic can you tell us a little more about the doubling? Is the doubling on the date, mint mark, or lettering? If the doubling is in the lettering or date which letter(s) or number(s) is it in. If it is in the mint mark, does it look something like this.

Attached Files:

6. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

welcome to the forum mister martin:hail:

7. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Jim,

Did you check out the 1958-P DDO Cent that Copper Coins has listed as a 1958P-1DO-001? I can tell you that it is in error! It is apparently a Variety not listed with Coneca but it is definitely not the Big One "1-O-I-CW; FS-01-1958-101 (022.15)".

Frank

8. sk8er722

sk8er722 New Member

sorry to bring back an old thread, but i have a coin with the same doubled mint mark but nothing else is doubled. its in good condition, would this type be worth any?

9. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

This site will show you what you may have:

http://www.coppercoins.com/advsearch.php

10. Foxtrox

Foxtrox New Member

Hello every one, i have a lincoln penny date 1950 mintmark "S" how much worth this coin?

11. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

This question should be posted under "What's it Worth?" Maybe a mod will move it.

12. shiny coins for life

shiny coins for life Active Member

I found a 1958 penny plain mintmark and it looks like there is an extreme doubled die on the reverse. do you know how much its worth?

13. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Got a pic?

14. shiny coins for life

15. shiny coins for life

It depends on the condition of the coin but I will estimate from 30 cents to 1 dollar.

16. shiny coins for life

Sorry jay for not replying right away but I got confused with my account. I have no pictures of the coin yet but it is very doubled on the reverse kind of like the 1955 doubled die obverse wheat penny.

17. jeff adkins

jeff adkins New Member

i was searching a bag of wheats a few days ago and my son found a 1958 D with a very strong doubled date and mint mark and there looks like a 7 under the eight i will try to get a pic up in order to get help with info

18. donwall57

donwall57 Active Member

I( have a 1958 D with a lot of doubling!

19. James weaver

James weaver New Member

I am no coin expert myself but I have been collecting some coins for a. Of time I have some photos of some point I would like you to look at and for you guys to tell me what you think

20. Brandon31

Brandon31 New Member

Is there a error 1958 dd on the unum and the vaule

21. Is this a 1958 d ddo? 20170410_162629-1.jpg 20170410_162308-1.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted