1958 D Wheat Cent possible error or PMD???

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Tompkins316, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

Hey guys,

Just got a roll of wheats/IH cents that I ordered from ebay and this penny was in it.

errorwheat.jpg

It's a 1958-D and I don't know if this is some kind of error (maybe lamination error?) or if it's just PMD. I have no skill at all yet identifying errors outside of mistrikes and other obivous faults.

If it helps any more, despite the scan the strip in question is about a shade lighter in color than the rest of the coin. Also it is indented into the coin (idk if you can tell that by the pic), by that I mean the surface of the strip is lower than the rest of the coin. Lastly, despite what it looks like from the scan, the 1 in 1958 is in the strip in question, however, it is not damaged at all.

Especially because the 1 is not damaged at all, I'm questioning it being PMD. If it was damage from being gouged or scratched would the 1 be damaged too?

What your opinions?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Can you get a close up photo area???

4. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

I'll have to get my sister to use her canon rebel to take a pic...I'm just using the scanner and I can't figure out how to have a better, close up picture lol

5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Thanks!!!

6. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Looks like peeled lamination to me.

7. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

does that have any added value to the coin?

8. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Some people collect them, perhaps a buck or two.

Draft saved Draft deleted