1958 Cent DDO?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by USS656, Feb 20, 2007.

1. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

1958 Cent Double Strike Error?

The guy that works for me brought in 7 wheat cents this morning and this is one of them. I think this is the first Double Strike I have ever seen. Look at the back of his head to see what I am speaking of.

Please let me know what you think, and if it is, what it might be worth.

Thanks

Darryl

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Darryl,

I don't think that the coin is a Doubled Die, as the Date and Lettering should also show significant doubling! It is really hard to tell what it is from the pic but I would guess that it is either Die Clashing, Counter-Die Clashing or the coin was Double Struck with most of the First Strike elements obliterated by the Second Strike.

Is the extra area of the back of Lincoln's head raised above the fields (obtuse) or inset below the fields (incuse)? This information will help in determing what the error is or isn't!

4. USS656

I think it is obtuse - the extra area is slightly raised above the area beyond it.

The camera here at work is old and not so good. Later at home I can take a picture with my camera to show better detail.

Thanks

5. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Darryl,

Then I would to say that the coin was most likely Double Struck and the Second Strike wiped out most of the First Strike! It is possible that it is Counter-Die Clashing. However, I find it hard to believe that the Mint employee would have ground and polished out the other Counter-Die Clashed elements from the Die and not that remaining area. If it is Counter-Die Clashing, the Mint employee really should have retired the Die!

When you post better pictures, can you post a closeup of the entire Obverse and another closeup of the Errored area?

6. USS656

Will do, thanks

7. USS656

Just wait till you see this close up

It is so neat to see something like this in my hand and not just online. :eat:

It is so wild to see the marks.

Tell me what you think with better pictures. If it was a double strike wouldn't there be errors on both sides?

Cannot wait to hear more - thanks.

Darryl

Attached Files:

8. USS656

Here is the reverse

Attached Files:

9. Uh oh! Another jittery Lincoln.

10. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

It looks to me like someone took a metal object and traced around Lincoln. The Jittery parts look like a scraping tool mark. I don't think it is doubled, Just my opinion.

11. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

From the new pictures, I believe that Captainkirk is correct! It really looks like some kind of Post-Mint tooling! However, if the so called doubling is obtuse (raised above the surface or fields of the coin), then I have no idea what it is! Maybe Mike can tell from the new pictures and post his analysis.

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I seriously doubt that it is a mint made error.
    If it was double struck it would show on the reverse.

13. USS656

This has been in an antique cash register for more than 20 years. If it is a genuine error from the mint what would/could have caused it?

14. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

Lamination error?

15. USS656

I'll be the first to admit that I know almost nothing about coins and nothing about errors or fakes so I really have to trust what you say is probably true.

With the reverse clean from error I would also think that a double strike would not make sense.

Some of the marks on the front look a little jagged (like a tool did it) while others are very smooth.

The part that really has me wondering is how perfect the extra marks match the outline of lincoln. If it was an attempt at faking an error the person who did it worked under strong magnification and was outstanding at tracing the outline of the body and head. This combined with (Terry tells me it's been more like 30 years untouched) how long this has been sitting in an old ladies antique register and it does not add up. Why would someone spend the time to do this then spend it somewhere? My crystal ball isn't working either so if it is a fake then I'll probably never understand.

Thanks - as always - for your thoughts and opinions!!! :thumb:

Draft saved Draft deleted