1957s $1 Silver Certificates

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by PamR, Feb 22, 2024.

1. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

Some creases etc. I wished I would have traded the ones of all denominations when I worked at the bank. Blue and Red Seals.

IMG_5774.jpeg IMG_5775.jpeg IMG_5776.jpeg IMG_5778.jpeg IMG_5779.jpeg IMG_5780.jpeg IMG_5781.jpeg IMG_5782.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

There's a lot of stuff that I wish I'd bought and kept when I worked in a bank in the 1960s. But you have to remember that buying a blue seal $10 bill was a major investment, and a $1000 in silver coins was a fortune. Besides, in terms of return, almost all the bills I should have bought have actually lost value since then after taking into account inflation. A couple of national bank note that I did buy are exceptions, but to keep up a $10 silver certificate would have to be worth about $150 today just to break even.

GoldFinger1969, Notaphylic_C and PamR like this.
  4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

57 blue seals are one of the most produced
    notes of all time there for the value of CH/CU is only about $15 if that and stars
    not much more.

PamR and SensibleSal66 like this.
  5. Notaphylic_C

Notaphylic_C Well-Known Member

US_$1_P419.jpeg

+1
    I bought the above CU note about 8 or 9 years ago for about $15 (I believe). Posted it (& a star SC) on some forum back then & was pretty surprised to learn how many were issued right into the 60's I believe (like billions were issued!)

PamR likes this.
  6. Barney McRae

Barney McRae Supporter! Supporter

Thanks for posting this. I'd forgotten about the silver certificates I have. None of them are in pristine condition and out of the 50 I have, only a handful have the star designation.

PamR likes this.
  7. PamR

Very welcome!

Barney McRae likes this.
  8. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Decided to get a local Florida bank account IMG_1342.jpeg IMG_1343.jpeg IMG_1344.jpeg IMG_1345.jpeg last spring. A quiet little branch near me. Been training them on numismatics. They save anything strange to them. And I give a little lesson at the teller window.
    Next week they will get some cookies. More if they’re good
    Here’s a godless dollar 1935 D

PamR likes this.
  9. PamR

So neat! Awesome! Yes I had one girl at our bank watching for coins. She has transferred. Very nice especially that 35!
    And the 28!

10. Barney McRae

Pics of of the nice 35 year old girl from the bank? :p

PamR likes this.
  11. PamR

lol!

Barney McRae likes this.
  12. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Don’t think they like taking pictures in the bank. Not sure if the girls will pose outside under the shade tree. But I’ll ask, just for you.

Barney McRae likes this.
  13. Barney McRae

Be sneaky about it. They are called creeper shots for good reason. Oh and these days? They'll pose for you. :D

14. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Unless it has a star....super low serial number (or other odd SN)....or very high-grade....they really don't have much more value than $1-$3, right ?

PamR likes this.
  15. GoldFinger1969

I purchased a few in high-grade years ago....not sure what I paid for them, maybe $40 on average ?

Here's one:

1957 $1 SC FR #1619 PMG 65 front.jpg 1957 $1 SC FR #1619 PMG 65 back.jpg

SteveInTampa and PamR like this.
  16. PamR

lol

Barney McRae likes this.
  17. GoldFinger1969

It seems that generic, run-of-the-mill graded Silver Certificates may have appreciated (50-100%) in the last 4-5 years....would that be correct ?

It's tough to gauge sometime, you see a higher price in auctions today and you can't be sure it's a price move or if there's a rare SN or currency block or something that the bill has driving up the price.

I was checking out the HA Weekly Currency Auction last night and it seemed that basic SC's, and modern Radars/Repeators/etc. had moved since I was last super-active a few years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted