1957D Washington

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Pickin and Grinin, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I have been putting together an uncirculated date only set of Washington's in late deteriorated die state. Well as I find them, most coins in late die state are sent to circulation. So this has been difficult to get done. here is the newest.
    Anyone else have an odd collection going right now?
    upload_2021-4-17_10-36-1.png
    upload_2021-4-17_10-35-43.png

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I love it. The color is unusual, and I really like the eye appeal of the coin. Very interesting die markers, especially on the reverse.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Yeah the die deterioration on the reverse is extreme. Lots of doubling and loss of details.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

How do you determine they are uncirculated late die production and not just worn. I note the reflection on the reverse, but what other clues would I look for?

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Do you see the wrinkles?

GH#75 likes this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

That one is difficult to do with static images on a computer screen. It can be done if the photographer is not taking glamour shots.
    The first thing I look for is disturbances in the luster. This is not only disturbances on the high points of a coin. This is disturbances in the luster on the coin as a whole. IE, evidence of friction.
    Friction or evidence of circulation tends to leave a dull appearance in the open areas and brilliance in the protected areas. This when lightly circulated will leave halos around the devices, and in every nook and cranny of the coin.
    It takes looking at a lot of coins in hand to start to see what is an UNC and what is AU or Circ. Most of what a grader does is tilting the coin to find dullness or evidence of friction in the luster, something that a lot of still photos "unless" in high definition won't show you.

If we take the coin above, there is zero difference between the field luster and the devices luster. It does have some minimal contact marks. But that is only the difference in grade from 60 to 70.

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

I bet it does take a lot of in-hand practice. Thanks for the info.

9. Pickin and Grinin

Even more when the TPG's put AU coins into MS slabs, and say that they are graded correctly. This is more than confusing to most. All I can say is that if you buy in hand only and use ANA grading standards as your basis. You can never go wrong.

10. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Interesting collecting goal. Have Fun!!!

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  11. Pickin and Grinin

I wish I had more time and money to add to the collection, It has been a slow mover.

Draft saved Draft deleted