1957 Nickel... whay are some worth 1500?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by cm769420, Sep 25, 2013.

1. cm769420

cm769420 Member

5c2.jpg I have a pristine /57jefferson and I looked at ebay... some are $1500, but they are graded. any idea why they cost somuch....

Attached Files:

• 5c1.jpg
      5c1.jpg
      File size:
      33 KB
      Views:
    John Wilkinson likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

He probably meant $15.00 and forgot the decimal point.

4. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Full steps

For the most part the 50's and 60's Jeff's are low qualityand hard to find with full steps

The on you posted looks to be a proof vs business strike

5. Coinman1974

Coinman1974 Research, Research, Research

cm,.

This is a proof coin, which when minted was made to look extrodinary, which yours does.

Also I have no clue why one of these would be that high of a price. I did not look through the red book but did do a quick search on line and they go from $.65 to $1.30. Again i did not look in the Red Book so just going from what I was able to find on line. Take that with a grain of salt, lol.

I have seen many coins go for way to much on EBay, at one time it was me who was buying coins at overblown prices as I did not have 1. The basics, 2. the Knowledge, and 3. Cointalk.

Consider your self lucky. I was not so fortunate early on.

Regards,
    Stan

6. robec

robec Junior Member

The 1957 and 1957-D with Full Steps graded MS66 are listed in the PCGS price guide at $2000-$2850.

This doesn't mean they will actually sell for that much. It sounds like some eBay seller has determined this coin is one of those.

7. cm769420

cm769420 Member

I love that I can come here to get real, educated, advice, especially since the internet is not a friendly place!

John Wilkinson, mikenoodle and MKent like this.
  8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

The only 1957 Jefferson Nickels that sell for $1,500 are those graded MS66 FS by PCGS. I believe that the PCGS population in that grade is 9/0. I own a 1957 Jefferson Nickel MS66 5FS graded by NGC with a population of 18/0. The value is in the $300-$400 range. PCGS is more conservative in their grading of Jefferson Nickels and as a result their coins sell at a premium over NGC.

[​IMG]

9. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Cameo proof 1957 nickels with extremely heavy frost are among the rarest of all modern cameo proof coinage, which might explain why the referenced coin is being offered at such a seemingly high price.

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

There are (IIRC) four NGC66 FS examples presently on ebay for which the (same) seller is asking from $1350-$1500+ each, so based on your valuation, it is safe to assume it another fine example of ebay fishing.

Anyway, I believe the aforementioned coins are what the OP was talking about.

11. cm769420

cm769420 Member

12. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

This is what Lehigh96 pointed out in his response. A population of 18. He also noted NGC's selling price, approximately $1000 less than this eBay seller is asking. It is the same coin.

13. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

While I don't usually attempt to defend E-Bay sellers, it is very possible that the person selling the coin does not know that there is a difference between a PCGS & NGC MS66 FS. Furthermore, Numismedia only recently started providing values for full step Jefferson Nickels. Prior to that, the only price guide available was the PCGS Price Guide value.

John Wilkinson and Coinman1974 like this.
  14. cm769420

cm769420 Member

I am about to win an auction on e-bay for a roll of '57s unopened, and mint cond. I ll let you know how it goes!

15. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

do you really trust a seller on ebay ? that roll of coins probably are wore out by folks opening the roll then rerolling it . anyway let us know how this goes

16. Coinman1974

Coinman1974 Research, Research, Research

Best of luck, seriously

17. BooksB4Coins

You are, of course, correct: it is possible that the seller does not realize this. However, after taking a look at his listings and selling history, I believe it far more likely that he does know, or is at least aware of sometimes TPG value differences, even with Numismedia not listing FS values until recently.

18. janet putt

janet putt New Member

Hi I have a album of us proof sets, 1956,to 1964, but 1963,is missing and there are two sets of 1960, they look mirror like can anyone one give me a idea on the album someone offered me 185.00

19. BooksB4Coins

Just to be clear, is it an "album of proof sets" or complete sets of proof coins residing in an album?

If original complete sets, a fair starting point may be to search completed eBay listings, taking the low average for each, and total up to give a likely best-case retail number. However, it should be understood that when selling multiple sets you're likely to get less overall than if sold indivually.

This, of course, is very generic advice and does not take into consideration the quality of the individual coins or any other factors that can contribute to increased values or prices. For that, we would need to see the coins in order to determine if there's any potential.

mikenoodle likes this.
  20. Lees.66

Lees.66 New Member

I have been saving change for many years and has quite a few Nichols from 1979 through 1939. I also have thousands of 1982 to 1959 pennies. some have told me to save these Penney's and they will be worth something closer to retirement.is there any truth to saving of the copper pennies? I would save them for about another 15 to 20 years yet. And will it be worth my while saving the Nichols as well? I have talked to coin shops and they said that I am basically wasting Space by saving all these pennies however the Nickels may be worth something someday. I am not a coin collector at all just somebody looking to make a few bucks at retirement time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

21. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

It is currently illegal to melt US coins for the metal content. It seems as though (right now) you are wasting your time.

Things may change in the intervening 15 to 20 years... who knows?

Draft saved Draft deleted