1957 lincoln cent Die chips in date

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by PaleteromanR34, Feb 21, 2017.

1. PaleteromanR34

PaleteromanR34 "Picture Me Rollin" -Tupac

Cool lincoln cent I came across today. Sharing always in hopes to learn 20170220_231754.jpg more about what I'm finding. Thanks everyone for all the input and help

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PaleteromanR34

Oops. Sorry about the orientation

4. CatW

CatW Member

My posts have been doing that lately
    I just make sure I hit the cursor down a line after the text, then put the pics in. Hope that helps with that. As far as the coin, I'm new to this and will sit back and observe and learn. Best of luck

5. PaleteromanR34

Thanks for the tip!! Appreciated

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes to Die Chips. It was a common occurrence in Cents starting from the mid 50's.. you can find these Die Chips especially on the 1957 and 1959 Cent

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No need to be sorry. You can still see what it is you are presenting.

8. PaleteromanR34

It immediately caught my eye today! And it's in really great shape. Especially how old it is, well it's not buffalo nickel old or nothing but great shape for being in circulation. I also have another cool piece I found I'm about to post it

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's important to learn how to judge the condition of a coin. "Great shape" is a relative term that has little meaning for the veteran collector. If you plan to continue in this hobby, it would be a good idea to get a book that will help you learn how to grade coins. You don't have to become an expert, but it can really help you to distinguish between those coins that are in "great shape" and those that are just average condition.

Whitman Publishing is one of the biggest sources of numismatic books,

https://www.whitman.com/store/Inventory/Browse/Whitman-Books/page/4

and here is one that can help you learn the basics of grading.

untitled.png

Chris

10. PaleteromanR34

Yes whole heartedly I agree. I have talking with the local coin dealer about books for the last two weeks. Thank you for any recommendations and links. I've been trying to read all the links that have been sent my way, so much info haha

11. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

You can't go wrong with books. The more you learn about coins, the more enjoyable the hobby will be. Get a Red Book. I don't like to use it for values, but it's packed with a lot of info. The grading books are great as well. Once you develop a specialty, then get those books as well. Subscribing to a hobby newspaper is another good option. BTW: I'm old school. There are probably loads of useful websites as well.

I like your comment "...so much info". After 45 years, I'm still learning

Draft saved Draft deleted