1957-D Silver Penny, Possible Dime Planchet Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Awek, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Awek

Awek New Member

It's not magnetic, even in the slightest, and there is no signs of any copper "showing through" as a result of chrome peeling. It looks like a dime planchet pressed penny to me, but I don't know a thing about coins other than what I've read. I do not know what it weighs, but I will tomorrow. It's the same size as a normal penny.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

4. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

it's just plated, a dime planchet wouldn't look like that

5. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

its too big to be on a dime planchet, it's plated.

6. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

that's exactly what i was thinking but i wanted someone else to say it before me :D

7. Awek

Awek New Member

What I don't understand, is how if It's plated, is there a copper rim, separate from the silver metal. As you can see in one picture, they are clearly 2 different metals. It also scratches silver when I scrapped a tiny section with a knife. Also, as one picture shows, the copper wore thin in a spot, and silver showed through, how do we explain that? As well as the L in Liberty touching what appears to be a second ridge. Also, there seems to be some slight stretch to the words on the reverse.

8. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Its zinc coated which wears off easily over time that's why our seeing copper showing through.

9. Awek

Awek New Member

But copper is NOT showing through. In fact, exactly the opposite is true. Silver is showing through, where some copper has worn away. And if it was chromed or zinced, it would not create a ridge where 2 metals clearly separate. Look at all he pics as close as possible. Chrome will have an ever so slight magnetic attraction. But I repeat, NO copper shows through, and it scratches silver.

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Look on the net for the God Penny experiment. Copper pennies are placed into a hot NaOH/zinc powder bath for a period of time in which a thin coating of zinc is deposited. These pennies can be carefully buffed up and really look silvery. If you now place them on a hot plate and turn it on, you can watch the zinc on the surface mix with the copper and form brass, the Gold Penny. Oh, what the heck, here is a link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnjVGvCv08Q

11. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

it could have possibly been in a bezel, that would explain the rim.

12. Awek

Awek New Member

What about the slightly stretched letters, and the L in liberty being on a ridge, and part of the O in One Cent being sunken in on the top, and the fact that it scratches silver, even in a very deep scratch. The most intriguing though, is where the copper rim was damaged and underneath was silver, with some faded smooth lines that resemble the rim of a dime, but worn down.

13. Awek

Awek New Member

I want someone to really look at this, and tell me what they think of the above mentioned observations.

14. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

stop scratching it if you think it's real and weigh it.

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Zinc coated? It's a '57 cent. Dad always told me that '57 cents was copper........

16. Awek

Awek New Member

What should it weigh? If it's more, less what will that tell me?

17. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

You scratched it with a knife! Lol

18. green18

Small cent...3.11 grams......dime.....2.50 grams.

19. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Clearly you never did the simple chemistry experiment to turn cents 'silver and gold'.

20. green18

No, I never did the 'Merlin' thing.......

21. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

i just don't know what the deal is with all these new posters. they ask for an opinion and when they get the answer they have to argue about it. we are here to help not to mislead.

Draft saved Draft deleted