1957 D LWC DDR?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kevin Dore, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Kevin Dore

Kevin Dore Active Member

My instincts and my prior track record here tell me that I am going to be proven wrong, but I think I have found a 1957 D DDR. Trust me when I say I am working hard to learn this skill of spotting doubled dies and I know I have posted a few in the recent past that when I look back (now that I have learned a little more) I should have never even posted, but this one has too much evidence for me to ignore. Please take a look and let me know what you think. Is this a DDR? Machine doubling? Something else? I have several photos where I can see doubling of some sort. Sorry to give you so much to look through. Part of the problem I'm having is that there are so many DDR's listed for that year that I am having a really tough time trying to match what I have up to the seeming endless pictures provided on varietyvista.

http://varietyvista.com/01a LC Doubled Dies Vol 1/DDR 1957.htm S20180827_0002.jpg S20180827_0001.jpg S20180827_0003.jpg S20180827_0006.jpg S20180827_0008.jpg S20180827_0009.jpg S20180827_0010.jpg S20180827_0015.jpg S20180827_0018.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I would say MD, considering the "doubling" looks shelflike and like it reduces the size of the devices.

4. Kevin Dore

Kevin Dore Active Member

Thank you. I partially understand what you are saying. What would be helpful to me is to see side by side pictures of MD that reduces the size and is shelf like next to a true DDO. I've done some reading on those topics but the pictures I've come across so far have not been very helpful

5. Kentucky

I would love to help you, but, although I have seen such pictures here, I haven't saved any. Perhaps someone with the pictures will respond. I hope you do have a valid doubled die.

Kevin Dore likes this.
  6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

7. Kevin Dore

Kevin Dore Active Member

I really am trying to develop my skills here. I really really don't want to jump on here every time I "think" I have something. I know doing so will eventually annoy people and lower my willingness to keep searching. But I'm so new to this for now that I fell I have to ask questions to get better.

Kentucky likes this.
  8. Kentucky

Kevin Dore likes this.
  9. Kevin Dore

Kevin Dore Active Member

That is helpful. Thank you. I'd really love to see some examples on actual coins too.

10. Kevin Dore

Kevin Dore Active Member

Lol. Yep, many times it doesn't take long at all. That's part of the reason I love it here.

Kentucky likes this.
  11. Kevin Dore

Kevin Dore Active Member

Looking at that, then looking at the M I posted, I can see why it is more likely MD now.

12. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Here is my 1972 DDO 001. I've got other DDOs and DDRs but haven't taken pictures of them.
    1972P DDO 001.jpg

Kevin Dore likes this.
  13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Kevin, look at how jagged some of those edges are. The strike chewed them off. Do you see frog's example, how that's clearly one image adjacent to the other, neither image torn up? Just a little movement when those does strike and funny things like this happen.

Kevin Dore likes this.
  14. Kevin Dore

Kevin Dore Active Member

Yes I am starting to get a handle on it. I think what I'm still having a hard time with is those coins that have just a small amount of doubling. The ones that have a medium to large spread are easy enough to spot even with the naked eye. But when it comes to coins that have just a small amount of doubling that you need magnification to really see, or something like an RPM, I'm still having a hard time distinguishing them.

15. Kevin Dore

Kevin Dore Active Member

Here is an example I've found that I would have trouble distinguishing:
    https://m.ebay.com/itm/1957-D-Linco...010808?hash=item213a5bba78:g:CdQAAOSw~rZanuEt

The doubling is so minor that I'm not sure I would have been able to spot it to begin with, and if I had I wouldn't know how to differentiate between doubled die vs machine doubling. What makes it worse is that virtually all coins I go through have some level of wear. That particular coin looks like it's in MS or AU at worst. If it were VF or even EF that makes it so much harder to judge between doubling and PMD.

Any and all advice is welcome from you experts out there that have done this for years. Like I've mentioned, I'm very new to this, only having a few months under my belt, and I haven't found anything worthwhile yet. Of course I'm doing this for fun, as a hobby, but it's starting to reach levels of frustration that it shouldn't for me.

If I'm searching coins that are worn, let's say VF on average, should I just skip anything i see that would be considered minor doubling and move on? Part of my problem is that when I find something like this, I'm spending too much time trying to figure it out.

I just want to get my first find under my belt. I know it takes patience, and I've exercised a good deal of that so far, but it's starting to wear thin.

Draft saved Draft deleted