1957-D Lincoln cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by DEA, Jul 26, 2021.

1. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Good day to all. Before I get overly excited, I wanted to get feedback from you. I've been wading through the coins my old man accumulated and found this 1957-D with what appears to be a die-break at about 6:30 on the obverse. From what I've learned here on CT, I don't think this can be called a 'cud' because it is not actually at the rim; close, but not.

If y'all confirm this is indeed a Die Error (using the PSD terminology), it will be the first error I have ever located on my own. That makes me so very happy. So don't disappoint me!

I know, nothing stupendous but the first time I've actually found (and noticed) something awry.

First, obverse and reverse, which does not really exhibit the die break very well.
    cent-01-1957D-km.jpg

Then some close ups from different orientations . . .

210726174151804.jpg 210726174214796.jpg
    210726174245868.jpg

CygnusCC and Cazador like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Nice find. Good attention to details. You are correct , not a cud.
    Your coin does have a die break or damage that cause the bump at the bottom of Abe's bust. While a cool find the die break does not add any value to your coin. IMO 1957 is a well known year for producing lot of coins with die breaks , cracks and chips.

DEA and paddyman98 like this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

And that's the first time I've seen a member use the word awry.. I'm liking it ;)

DEA likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not a cud so cudos to you for learning on CT. Looks like the beginning of a die break which if it continues to grow could become a cud once it hits that rim.

DEA likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted