1957 D Double Die

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by mapcoin, Apr 29, 2016.

1. mapcoin

mapcoin New Member

I am cataloguing my coin collection and came across what appears to be a double die on the date. I've provided a pic both in Natural light and Artificial (from my MicroCapture Pro). I can't find anything on a doubled date...only a doubled mint mark. Anyone want to weigh in?
    Natural Light
    upload_2016-4-29_15-5-1.png

Artificial Light
    upload_2016-4-29_15-6-45.png

Andrew Snovell and spirityoda like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Hi, sorry , it is MD, best seen on the 1 and the vertical leg of the 7. If it was a doubled die, the width of each would be wider than a non-DD, as you would have one partial ( first hubbing) and one full width ( second over lying hubbing). On your photo , you can probably see that each section of the leg is narrower than a normal one rather than wider. Welcome to the forum, Jim

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There is also a "Plugged B" in LIBERTY.

Chris

mapcoin likes this.
  6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Your coin is "machine doubled" (common) no extra value but nice teaching coin. There is a die chip in the "B" much neater. Keep looking and Good Luck!

7. mapcoin

mapcoin New Member

I'm relatively new....and haven't quite got all the lingo and acronyms down.... what does MD stand for? I was using another sample as reference and they seem markedly different... this was my comparative coin
    upload_2016-4-29_15-22-18.png

8. mapcoin

mapcoin New Member

what is the difference between machined doubled and double died.

9. cpm9ball

@mapcoin

MD stands for "machine doubling". Oftentimes people will use the abbreviation assuming that everyone else knows what it means. Machine doubling may also be called strike doubling, mechanical doubling and on rare occasions, ejection doubling.

Chris

ldhair and Insider like this.
  10. cpm9ball

Machine doubling occurs during the striking process and is caused by a slight back-and-forth movement of the die. A true doubled die occurs during the hubbing process when the working die is made. The dies usually need to be struck a second time to ensure that the design is impressed completely. If the working hub and the working die are not aligned correctly, a doubled die will occur.

Chris

Insider likes this.
  11. mapcoin

mapcoin New Member

Thank you all for your help... there was a comment about the "plugged B" that was actually on both coins... I've found a couple that seem to have "Extra" material.. like between the b and e... and in loop of number 9... someone suggested they were neater... is there some value in this type of coin?

12. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Decades ago these things were all the rage. Not so much now.

13. mapcoin

mapcoin New Member

And then I found this... the 7 is so much lighter than the other numbers
    upload_2016-4-29_15-43-47.png

14. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

What do you call something that's flat and shelf-like?

15. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Could be a greaser or just a worn-out die. They overused the dies until they DIED.

16. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

17. mapcoin

mapcoin New Member

I know I should be able to come up with a witty comeback... darn

18. mapcoin

mapcoin New Member

Thanks for your help and tutorials...

19. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

That is the most extreme case of machine doubling on the date I've ever seen. I'd keep it for myself just cause it looks cool.

20. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Between the b and e is usually referred to as a "BIE" error, it is a die chip as is probably a filled 9.

TJ1952 likes this.
  21. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Two coins, two die chips in the same location in the "B's". Common but nice find.

Draft saved Draft deleted