1956 Jefferson Nickel "S" Mint Mark on hair and back of neck?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by ARMEN, Apr 24, 2018.

1. ARMEN

ARMEN New Member

20180417_084430.jpg 20180417_084553.jpg

Hi everyone! I am a newbie to cointalk. I have this nickel with this "S" mark on the head and back of neck. Can anyone shed some light on this? It looks like an "S" mint mark.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Nice coin it does look like a S which is cool but IMO it appears to be a die chip based on those pics. JMO
    Welcome to Cointalk
    Dave

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

PMD not an s or dropped letter , perhaps a die chip.

5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

The surface of the coin exhibits a slightly raised crater rim around the outline of the "S" . . . The "S" was punched into a normal coin.

6. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

I don't believe there were any S mint marks for nickels in 1956.

7. ARMEN

ARMEN New Member

Hi everyone! Appreciate all the input. This may well be a PMD. Just strange that the mark was an "S" w/ the same size as an "S" mint mark and was marked twice, both on the hair and back of neck. If this was a die chip, what are the chances of this happening? A really interesting mark.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I was thinking counter stamp.

9. ARMEN

ARMEN New Member

This mark is so small you can barely see it with your naked eye. Only upon close examination can you see it. Did this marking technology exist back then? Apart or outside the mint? So small....... no other suspicious mark around the coin. Only on those 2 isolated areas.

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Looks like someone just punched an S into the coin.
    That technology has been around for a long time.

11. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Please don't read too much into this coin. It's only damage. Someone did this after it left the mint. It is not a mint error and is only worth 5 cents due to the damage.

Walk into any machine shop and they'll have alpha/numeric punches. Take a coin, punch, and hammer and this is what you get. If you really like it, run down to Lowe's or Home Depot, buy a set of punches and make as many as you want

12. ARMEN

ARMEN New Member

Lol ..... I'm just enjoying the mystery of this coin. Nice to hear from experienced coin collectors.

13. JayF

JayF Active Member

I really hate that, why anyone does this is beyond me. I'd keep it.

Draft saved Draft deleted