1956 Franklin Proof Whats up with the lines on the reverse?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by capthank, Nov 2, 2019.

?

Just noticed the lines when I enlarged the pic What happened?

1. Unknown

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Clash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The marks below the bell match the arch of the bell. I'm thinking the coin was moving around in the flat pack, leaving these marks.
    On the obverse the mark below the bust matches the arch of the bust. Above the head the marks match the arch of the rim.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Went to the bank today and couldn't locate this coin. One of the problems moving coins back and forth from a safe deposit box. Will keep searching. I might have mis-labeled it as a 1957 or 1958.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Islander80-83 likes this.
  4. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

I think I know how you're feeling at the moment.

I've read here more then once, where guys have misplacing coins. And I'm thinking, how the heck does someone actually lose a coin from their collection?? I'm just shaking my head thinking, no way in hell would I ever lose or misplace one of my coins!

Well, the past stinkin 6 weeks I've been going through that hell! :banghead::banghead: I misplaced or lost one!! It wasn't just a coin, it was a slabbed coin. A 2019 W quarter, MS67. Not a major cost but I went through a major effort to find it and get it graded.

Talk about anxiety?!?! It was the feeling of anxiety and anger on my part at the same time . :arghh: I was going nuts for 6 weeks, tearing the house apart. :bigtears::rage: I showed it to some friends and had it out of the house a few times. In my mind, I was trying to back track on exactly where I saw it last.

My wife (if course) found it yesterday in one of the pockets of my cargo jeans, hanging in my closet. I'm also glad I didn't throw them in the wash!! :banghead::banghead: I owe her a dinner night out!

Don't worry @capthank, you'll find it. icon_smile_thumbsup.gif

Stevearino and John Skelton like this.
  5. capthank

Definitely take her to dinner and I'll hope my wife finds mine.

6. capthank

Good news. It's from the camera. The coin has no scratches at all.

Stevearino and Islander80-83 like this.
  7. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

Be careful with those safe deposit boxes, nothing is insured by the bank, their not responsible for any of you belongings!

8. capthank

Today our bank lobby is closed to customer traffic until further notice. I can not access my safe deposit boxes. Home safe is what I will now buy.

9. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

That's a good idea!

capthank likes this.
  10. capthank

Thanks

11. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Over the years, I wonder how many bank and "safe deposit boxes" have been in the path of flood, earthquakes, hurricanes or Tornado's with peoples valuables?

12. capthank

Many. I did inquire as to flooding as I have one box low down. Told this area has never flooded. Not having access sealed the deal for me to get a safe. My wife finally agrees

13. Raulhg

Raulhg Member

This coin is a proof and came in a flat pack with very pliable cellophane. That means the coins in there over the years have been rubbing against the plastic it is housed in. In the business, we call it 'hairlines'.

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

What kind of camera?
    Does it make those same lines on every photo?
    Is it just the light in that one picture?

15. capthank

Yes, just the light in the one picture. Sure had me worried. Finepix F20 camera

Michael K likes this.
  16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Common date but most of the scratches look to be on the holder.

capthank likes this.
  17. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Looks like a CULL anyway.

18. capthank

19. capthank

Also it is a type II

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Bloody out of focus photogs.......do over OP!

What can one determine from out of focus shots like these? And could we get the shots perpendicular? I mean like straight up and down? Not sideways. Not having to crane my neck?

I'd correct them, but they ain't worth the effort due to the poor quality of photog.

Rant over. Apologies offered. It wasn't me, it was the booze......

21. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Dang, that is something I had never really thought about. My SDB in Moorhead is in the bank's basement. Fargo-Moorhead is prone to flooding. Our sister cities are along the Red River of the North. Since moving here we've had three "100-year floods" in a five-year period! I am going to put my name on a waiting list for a large box on the main floor, and then cross my fingers.

Steve

Draft saved Draft deleted