1956 Die break "BIE" error.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JSparrow1220, Sep 19, 2018.

1. JSparrow1220

JSparrow1220 Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Looks like you found a legit BIE die chip. Good find! Here's the only one I have photographed; I'm not sure if I have more.
    IMG_4913-horz.jpg

JSparrow1220 likes this.
  4. JSparrow1220

JSparrow1220 Active Member

Very nice. I was happy to find it. It's exciting to find a well known error.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Nice. They are very common on Cents minted in the 1950's and 1960's.. They can occur on any year. Once I found 3 different BIE's on 1994 Copper Plated Cents - 03.JPG 02.JPG 01.JPG

Some information - http://www.lincolncentresource.com/FAQ/BIE.html

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. tammiGee

tammiGee Active Member

I got 9 in a row from a 1955 S roll and yes petty exciting as they are now considered a variety as opposed to an error

7. tammiGee

tammiGee Active Member

quote from CONECA:
    BIE die break
    This is a sub-category of the die break affecting the letters of LIBERTY on the Lincoln cent. Technically, only a die break between BE of LIBERTY qualifies as a BIE. Generically speaking, however, a die break between any of the letters of LIBERTY qualifies. This variety was termed the “BIE” because that is where the vast majority of die breaks occur. This area of collecting was again the rage in the 1960s, but waned when the obverse die was modified and there were fewer specimens to collect. However, recent years have seen a new crop of this variety showing up and an increased interest.

Draft saved Draft deleted