1956 D 5/5 lincoln cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by steve.e, Apr 10, 2019.

1. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Howdy coin talk! I've got an interesting one today and I wanted to share. Have a look 20190410_145153.jpg 20190410_145219.jpg 20190410_145027.jpg looks like a 5/5. Opinions please

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

All the doubled dies for this year have a doubled eye also.
    The dies in the 50's were known for having a lot of die chips in and around liberty and the date. I think that they are die chips, but I would look for notching on the devices and see if they is a doubled eyelid.

4. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

I found some info. Its in wexlers files as wufo-001. Unexplained fascinating something or other. Anyway i don't think its die chips but who knows. Thanks anyway

5. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Wexler has on overlay on his site an it fits but no solid evidence other than that.

6. i2i

i2i Active Member

You got it!
    http://www.error-ref.com/1956-d_lincoln_cent_with_partial_5_digit/
    "
    With Partial 5 Digit
    PART II. Die Varieties:
    Repunched Date:
    1956-D Lincoln cent with repunched 5 (controversial)

Definition: A repunched date is produced when a numeral (or several numerals) is punched more than once into a working die, with movement of the punch or die between impacts. On the coin, this results in two overlapping numbers of the same type. A repunched date always involves the same numerals. If different numerals are involved, then we call it an overdate.

Repunched dates should not be confused with doubled dies, re-engraved dates, or misplaced dates.

For U.S. coins, the era of repunched dates ended in 1908. Beginning in 1909, the date was placed on the master hub or the master die. As a result, any claims of repunched dates later than 1908 must be greeted with extreme skepticism.

[​IMG]

The 1956-D Lincoln cent pictured above is believed by some to have a partially tilted, extra 5 beneath the normal 5. Those who suspect this is a repunched date argue that it is a fouled-up master die was re-used as a working die. While this is possible, it seems unlikely. The horizontal bar seems unaccountably thin, while the vertical bar terminates abruptly and has an unexplained dimple at its base. Skeptics argue that this is a simulacrum produced by two accidental die gouges or die dents."

steve.e and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Nice detective work i2i.

i2i likes this.
  8. i2i

i2i Active Member

Thanks. I was just looking at it a few days ago...

Draft saved Draft deleted