1956 Cent

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Gigi63, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Gigi63

Gigi63 Active Member

Hello: Can anyone tell me what is going on with Lincoln's head? It looks like he has a helmet on his head. And what is going on with the reverse?
    S20200129_0002.jpg S20200129_0003.jpg S20200129_0004.jpg S20200129_0005.jpg S20200129_0006.jpg S20200129_0007.jpg S20200129_0008.jpg S20200129_0009.jpg S20200129_0010.jpg

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes, looks like Lincoln had a lobotomy. j/k :D I have no idea but I would think both sides are likely PMD. Better luck next time! ;)

Gigi63 likes this.
  4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I think the obverse anomaly was caused by a die crack that goes in an almost full circle from his forehead to the back of his head.
    The line on the reverse looks to be a die gouge that was caused by the feeder finger rubbing on the die. Both are interesting errors but do not really add any value to your coin.

David Wiles and Gigi63 like this.
  5. Gigi63

Gigi63 Active Member

Lol..thank you

6. Gigi63

Gigi63 Active Member

Wow...Thank you

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

This is RIDB-1c-1956-05
    RIDB- retained interior die break.
    This is where the die has broke but instead of falling out of the die face,
    it is held in place.
    Here is the reference. It is hard to tell if your coin is an earlier die state?
    Possibly, or maybe a different die all together, as I don't see the broken working hub, says bottom of 6 in date.
    http://cuds-on-coins.com/lincoln-cent-retained-interior-die-break-1909-1958/

bsshog40, David Wiles and tmeyer like this.
  8. Pickin and Grinin

@Gigi63
    Those are some nice photos!

Gigi63 likes this.
  9. Gigi63

Gigi63 Active Member

thank you...Its from the Plugable USB 2.0 Digital Microscope

10. Pickin and Grinin

Do you have better photos of the date?
    The 6 would be visible even without the RIDB.

11. Gigi63

Gigi63 Active Member

I checked out the reference. I can see there is something going on with this coin. I really would like to know what exactly do i have, what to do with and if it has any value.

12. Gigi63

Gigi63 Active Member

ill get more. Thanks for you help

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Very nice!

Gigi63 likes this.
  14. Gigi63

Gigi63 Active Member

15. Pickin and Grinin

These aren't super valuable, I think that I gave 10$ for mine. Condition is everything when buying and selling these some what minor errors. They can be found in mint state and depending on the severity raw for $10 to $20.

By the way this is the broken working hub, and the same RIDB as the one on cuds on coins. I wish the photos were better to compare the breaks.

chascat and Gigi63 like this.
  16. Gigi63

Gigi63 Active Member

Thank you...Which photos are needed. im sorry but i would really like to learn exactly what it is i would have to look for so that i better know what to look for.

17. Pickin and Grinin

You have already posted the necessary photos, it is the simple photos on cuds on coins that are lacking the details.
    These type of IDB's and RIDB's change every few strikes. Yours is no doubt the same RIDB 1956-05.

Gigi63, alurid and Spark1951 like this.
  18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It looks like lamination on that heads side.

19. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Your photos is awesome.
    I think your coin is struck with a Late Stage Die due to the all the letters in IGWT are curving upward at outer-most point (top of letters).
    The reverse show some this effect also.
    The reverse photo on Cud-on-coins does not show the mark that your coin has running beside the O of ONE. I think it possible that dies may/could have been
    re-paired with a different die from another die pair.

20. Dale Lassiter

Dale Lassiter Active Member

Gigi63 likes this.
  21. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

EEEEEEEAHH!

Gigi63 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted