1955 wheat penny with error

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Amandamvano, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

I’m not saying that there aren’t some people who just want answers spoon fed to them. Of course there are. But I think of Einstein’s statement: “ I don’t have to know everything. I just have to know the people who know everything!” And you guys are those people.

Now I admit I’m as lazy as they come except when something interests me and I’m trying to learn about errors. Not for any financial gain but for the knowledge. But I also wonder why so many answers given are so quick to point out that a coin is worthless beyond face value. It’s as if the potential value is the only yardstick we respect.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Well, I don't think it's so much that we respect, it's what most new posters expect. Like one from just the other day, posted a question about a $20 bill. His question was about the SN, but which forum do you think he posted it on? (Hint: If you guessed "What's It Worth", you win!!) He posted in the forum where he expected his desired answer (which he hinted around). He could find that thread, but not the one which would yield the the optimum responses to his "question"??

It seems that for most, if they don't directly ask, they hint about "what the value" is, rather than searching for specifics to the actual hobby (read: addiction) to collecting (again, I blame this on YouTube).

The other thing about CT (there, I'm not spelling it out for any morons who don't know what site they're on) is that I think many newcomers actually think this is a business site...as if there are full time paid employees to answer their questions. They become impatient or feel disrespected without an immediate response or the response they want to hear...not to mention their argumentative nature upon receiving an honest, accurate answer.

Just sayin'...:)

eddiespin and frankjg like this.
  4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah, but they’re still crackpots... :)

But seriously, maybe you’re raising some good points. I mean, look at the other coin forums. Is this even tolerated in any of those? What makes us so deserving of it? Is it we’re inadvertently encouraging it? Is it how we’re holding ourselves out? Why are the others so respected no one would think of coming on those forums with such crackpot questions? Perhaps you touched on something, I’m saying. Maybe we ought to try to explore those questions a little bit. What might we be doing wrong to encourage these types? Conversely, what might NGC, PCGS, CC, and these others be doing right?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    PlanoSteve likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's been damaged. Welcome to CT.

FooFighter likes this.
  6. FooFighter

FooFighter Just a Knucklehead Coin Hunter

Yeah these people pop up, ask a question about their coin. That question is how much is it worth? We tell them it's face only, and ODD ENOUGH, we never see them again. I was too dumb to quit , is why I'm still here. Lmao

Draft saved Draft deleted