1955 wheat penny with error

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Amandamvano, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Amandamvano

Amandamvano New Member

I was just wondering if this is worth anything?! It looks like it spells “In God We Yrust”

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The T in TRUST took a hit. It is not a mint error and only worth 1 Cent.

@lordmarcovan
    This is an example thread of what I was reffering to. It was created in the What's it Worth forum. There were no responses until I started searching for the new threads area. If it were in the Error Coins forum I would of seen it right away.. But I understand that I shouldn't be bossy and tell new members to create questions like these there... :wacky:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  4. Amandamvano

Amandamvano New Member

Sad

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Actually paddy, I think there's 2 things going on here: (1) the time the OP posted, 5:35 am - most of us (specifically me) don't start here that early. (2) until I read your post, I wasn't going to respond, because, let's face it, there are so many of these posts, & I assume someone else will respond with the correct answer (like you did). :happy:

I probably respond to a quarter (that's 25%, not 25 cents) of the threads that I used to (but I read a ton of them, with the hope of learnin' something new); seems like we're inundated with these type of damage questions & no one wants to research the site, as if they have the first one. Honestly, the OP has a legitimate interest & question, but there's only so much time in a day...just sayin' :happy:

Inspector43 and paddyman98 like this.
  6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

What if there were a statement that each new member had to read advising them to search relevant posts before they put these questions up? Could that eliminate some? Some of them have very obvious PMD.

7. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

There are a lot of people that don't like to read or research. Especially people new to any particular venue. They don't have enough interest in whatever the venue is to invest the time, especially in this age of instant gratification.

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. paddyman98

Won't work.. All they care about is becoming rich!

9. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

I don't think so, I don't think it's particularly necessary & I don't think many would take the time to read it anyway.

I'm just saying that (to me) it seems the vast majority of these error/damage issues are from newbies who posted within 24 hrs of becoming a member, solely for the purpose of finding out if their "YouTube" coin is special, without ever identifying or inferring that the damage occurred from circulation or intentional disfigurement. Notice how they all want to know something about its worth?

Very few have actually followed along on this site to gather knowledge, or peruse threads that already address their "problem" coin. They seem to not have a care or interest in numismatics until they see something on the internet that tells them they can find a $10,000 coin. And then they don't have the common sense to determine that the coin was merely treated harshly or with contempt!

I think it's obvious that many members now (like myself) "non-comment" these posts, knowing that, thankfully, there are members (like @paddyman98, @lordmarcovan, @furryfrog02, @Seattlite86, and others, who I regretfully failed to name) who will dutifully answer them.

(Boy, I got long winded there!...:confused::eek::rolleyes:o_O:dead:...sorry!)

They're gonna keep on coming...;)

10. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Wait, you can become rich doing this? Why didn’t someone tell me?

eddiespin and PlanoSteve like this.
  11. Neosynephrine

Neosynephrine Member

However, this still looks like a Poor Man's DD. So, off to the bank!

12. FooFighter

FooFighter Just a Knucklehead Coin Hunter

Bossy paddy Bossy paddy lol you're a good dude, dude

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. carra's coins

carra's coins Jack The Ripper Sharpens His Knifes With Coins

I have only been a member for a little bit over a week but i have learned alot about soom members. Like Paddyman he very experienced in this so called hobby.But some of you offer no advice just talk about other members. I am still learning what different things you can do so try to take it easy to new members. Welcome to COIN TALK there I spelled it out instead of just 2 letters.

FooFighter likes this.
  14. FooFighter

Yes, Welcome to Coin Talk Carra. You are right about paddy. That's 1 knowledgeable King of Coins there. Dang, I thought they started with the same letter.
    Even his walk to work every day, is rythe with coins. That lucky SOB has found a number of coins at a time. Its pretty cool.
    You'll get used to seeing certain faces around here, some have been into coins.for 20, 30 40 years, and we always have to dish it out a little to break the monotony. But just be aware, that you have to be able to take it too.
    None of it is said with any Malice, and actually, if it was, they would be called out on it. We joke , but we have each other's back too.
    So, dont be afraid to ask questions or upload pics. The more the merrier. As for the pics try to do front and back, Obverse and Reverse, as well as the issue you see with the coin.
    Welcome, have fun and we'll c ya round.

carra's coins likes this.
  15. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

If I may, let me offer a different perspective. I, personally enjoy doing research but as a rank green novice, who is NOT trying to become rich, nor a full time collector, but am only trying to expand my knowledge a bit, this can be (is) a confusing environment. It has its own language and codes. And the differences between trash and treasure may be minimal. To me, a crack and a scratch look the same. I’m still unable to understand how a tiny mintmark can be damaged so precisely yet the rest of the coin remains pristine. It must happen. Grading a coin? Forget it.

And even research doesn’t pay off at times. I have a post right now asking about a possible inverted mintmark on a 1928 quarter. There is an example of one in Cherrypickers and mine looks EXACTLY the same, yet I’m told it’s not one.

Besides, don’t you feel a little pride in knowing the answers? To a few, I’m an “expert” Metal detectorist and I get deluged with questions all the time. Some are very simple and basic but it tells me the people are trying and eager to learn. And we also have our own confusing language that’s occasionally challenging. And frankly I’m proud to be the one they want to learn from.

So thanks for the knowledge and expertise you provide. It IS appreciated.

carra's coins, Nyatii and FooFighter like this.
  16. FooFighter

Yes, I would like to thank all who have helped me as well. I'm sure I was a pain in the rear.
    And I say this in jest. It is really great when you do actually find something,,,,, ANYTHING! HEHE.

To the new up and comers. Keep on searching. Dont let it get you down.
    If you think you found something, ,,,,,,you didnt. A coin hunter,,,,, till you find something ,,, you aint.
    And after a couple drawbacks,,,, and heartaches,,, when you DO find something,,,, you'll think ur gonna faint
    !!
    Welcome to coin huntin,,,,,AINT IT GREAT!!!!

17. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Your perspective is right Chip. Each niche has it's own language and it makes it hard to delve into without work on the novices side. I was talking in general, not just coins. I've watched over the years and noticed that most don't like to do the work to learn unless they have something to drive them. Such as the thirst for knowledge, grand ideas of riches, or maybe recognition to name a few.

I first noticed this many years ago when I had a game room/pizza business. I decided to have a contest and spent hours devising the rules for such and crafting them into a very nice poster to explain all. The kids that came in saw the first line that said "Contest" and asked what the contest was. I explained.

I had another contest and shortened the rules. They asked what it was about.
    I explained.

Another contest, shorter wording. they asked. I explained.

Finally, I just put up a poster with "Contest" on it. And explained what it was.

John Skelton, PlanoSteve and frankjg like this.
  18. frankjg

I'd also say that errors and varieties is probably one of the most difficult areas of numismatics to understand and learn about. I dont do it but see many on here who have dedicated most of their collecting life to the subject and are still learning, to this day.

Many new people hear from youtube or other sources that they can make untold fortunes off of errors and varieties and immediately dive right into it without gaining a base understanding of coin collecting.

If more new people were in it for the enjoyment, I doubt they would dive right into the deepest end of the pool. Start with the basics, find a series and try to put a collection together, read, read, read...

This hobby is about so much more than finding an error or undiscovered coin, its about the history, the beauty of the coins, the rarity, etc..

People today are way too caught up in trying to run way before they should even be walking.

19. paddyman98

I gave you a Best Answer for your post! ;)

FooFighter and carra's coins like this.
  20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Therefore, you have this perspective, all these crackpots have this perspective. Is that about the size of it, that what you’re trying to say? Therefore, lighten up on these crackpots?

Let me offer a different perspective, still. Most of these crackpots are indeed that, crackpots, who see something on their cell phone, on YouTube, or in their social media accounts, then come on here like gangbusters, insisting they found what’s tantamount to the Holy Grail, and when you tell them they’re full of hooey, they argue with you, and piss you the hell off. And that goes on, page after page. Oh, and then there are the ones who did find a legitimate error, and what’s the next question they ask? Is it, “How did this happen?” Is it, “Why is this an error?” Is it a question having any relationship to they’re here to learn the hobby? No. It’s rather, “What’s it worth?” It’s rather, they expect they can waste our time here, in devotion to this hobby, appraising their commodity for them. And I’m not saying they’re all like that, but cut us a little bit of slack. You’ve been around here long enough, you can tell the ones who want to come into the hobby, from the ones who are here just wasting our time. And it gets easier to tell, as we go along.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  21. frankjg

Thanks pal, us New Yorkers have to stick together.

FooFighter and paddyman98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted