1955 Wheat Penny Double Die or Lamination?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by IshVintage, Jul 10, 2016.

1. IshVintage

IshVintage New Member

Found this unique bit during a search today. Looks like a poor man's double die, or lamination, or both? Obverse and reverse lamination with what appears to be doubling with die cracks as well. Any thoughts on this coin. Either way, IMG_4681.JPG IMG_4696.JPG IMG_4698.JPG IMG_4707.JPG IMG_4709.JPG IMG_4711.JPG IMG_4715.JPG it is one ugly copper.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Looks like crud. Can you post pictures taken straight on and not on an angle?

19Lyds likes this.
  4. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

Like Rick said. It's hard to tell anything when the pics are at such radical angles.

5. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Just a combo of PMD & a glue type substance.

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The proper terminology is Doubled Die not Double Die, Big difference
    Quote - "Note that the proper terminology for this occurrence includes the letter 'd' at the end of the first word, hence "doubled die". The term "double die" without the first word ending in 'd' is not proper numismatic terminology." closed quote

I want to share this webpage with you - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubled_die

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

A dip in acetone might find you removing a lot of what looks like built up something or other really. Don't want to dash your hopes but the scratches have ruined any value to this coin even if it is a lamination error. JMHO.

8. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

That is not THE 1955 doubled die that is heavily sought after. The DD stands out so much you would know by just looking at it. In other words, having to ask us pretty much confirms it's not the one. Photos definitely confirm though.

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That will come off with and acetone soak to loosen things up and prying at it with a flat-head screwdriver. Don't worry, you won't lower the value of this coin doing that.

10. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

I would use a wooden tootpick, or a tang from a plastic fork

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'd be worried he might damage the toothpick.

tommyc03 and rickmp like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted