1955 Wheat cent (cleaned?)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by HookFynn, Nov 1, 2019.

1. HookFynn

HookFynn Member

6795F19E-87F5-4A3A-9316-065F50941792.jpeg good morning CT. i found this wheat in a roll and it looks incredibly fresh and shiny compared to every other wheat i've found. does it appear cleaned or treated to you fine folks? i'm new to the hobby. thanks in advance. 6795F19E-87F5-4A3A-9316-065F50941792.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Cleaned? Yes, rather harshly so, I'm afraid. It's been polished.

4. HookFynn

HookFynn Member

i was afraid so. it's unnaturally bright. here it is next to a few others and a steel.

Attached Files:

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Your coin reminds me of those that we used to clean with an eraser back in the 50's.

Chris

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I once bought a Wheat cent bulk lot that had a lot of cleaned pieces like that in it.

But there were dirty coins, too. One was an otherwise nice looking 1914 cent that looked to have at least VF-XF details. Nobody had messed with it, but it had a big gob of dirt underneath the date.

I was happy enough to find a VF-XF 1914 "plain" cent, but just to satisfy my burning curiosity, I carefully removed that piece of dirt with a toothpick, to see if the coin had a mintmark hiding under the crud.

When I saw it did, my shout of surprise awoke my sleeping spouse.

Ta-dahhh! Can you say "700-dollar cherrypick, for less than a nickel?"

Cha-ching! :greedy::D

The coin cleaned up nicely with a gentle Vaseline rub, without disturbing the original color. Went XF40 at PCGS.

That happened in 2006.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted